Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
In addition to paid travel and credit card sign-up bonuses, another great way to earn points is through shopping portals. For those of you who may not know, shopping portals give you additional points for buying products through them.
(READ MORE: Earning Miles Through Shopping Portals)
(READ MORE: How I earned over 1.6 million points in 2016)
Right now, United is also offering a back to school promotion, which you can learn about here.
American Airlines Back to School Promotion
This bonus runs from now until August 18th, and is a tiered promotion, meaning:
- Spend $150, get 500 bonus miles
- Spend $300, get 1,000 bonus miles
- Spend $500, get 2,000 bonus miles
While this promotion isn’t as high as the United one, it make make sense to combine the two promotions if you have a lot of back to school (or just regular!) shopping to do.
Terms and Conditions
- During the “Back to School Bonus” bonus campaign, which runs from 07/23/17 through 08/18/17 at 11:59:59 pm ET (the “Bonus Period”), Member will earn a one-time bonus of up to 2,000 AAdvantage miles on qualifying purchases, in addition to the standard AAdvantage miles earned from shopping online through the AAdvantage eShopping mall.
- This one-time bonus award will be determined using one of the following tiers, based on Member’s cumulative qualifying purchases made during the Bonus Period: Tier 1 bonus: 500 miles for qualifying purchases of at least $150; Tier 2 bonus: 1,000 miles for qualifying purchases of at least $300; or Tier 3 bonus: 2,000 miles for qualifying purchases of $500 or more.
- “Qualifying purchases” do not include returns, cancellations, shipping and handling, taxes, gift card or other cash equivalent purchases, and certain products that are not eligible for bonus miles.
- Please see the AAdvantage eShopping mall site for details on product eligibility and other restrictions.
On the promotion landing page, the website also gives you some sample places where you can shop and earn even more points per dollar on your portal purchases.
If you spend all $500 required for the promotion at Sak’s Off Fifth, for instance, you’ll earn 5 points per dollar (2,500 points) plus the 2,000 points for the promotion, for a total of 4,500 points! That’s in addition to the credit card point you’ll earn from spending as well. As a point of reference, 4,500 AAdvantage miles is what I used to fly from Honolulu to Kona last year!
Will you be earning these bonus points? Do you take advantage of these shopping portal bonuses in general? Let us know below!