Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email with all the best travel news
Last week, I detailed my plans for an upcoming credit card churn. In it, after looking through the current churning rules and best practices for each bank, I figured out which cards I was planning on applying for
The cards I applied for this credit card churn
- Citibank Hilton HHonors 75,000 point card. Both Carolyn and I have this card (multiples), but we haven’t open or closed a card in the last 18 months, so we should be able to get the bonus again. Since this bonus is nearly twice as much as the normal amount, it definitely qualifies as a good one! I wrote about this card a few weeks ago – New limited-time 75,000 Hilton HHonors point credit card offer
- American Express Starwood Business card: 30,000 points (up from the normal 25,000 points). I got the SPG personal card with my first credit card churn, but with the business cards, you can get the bonus once every 12 months. We were originally targeting our SPG points for a stay at the Swan or Dolphin resort at Disney World, but now I’m not sure.
- After posting about the recent crackdown on churners by Chase, I got an email comment suggesting that churners might still be able to get Chase Ink (business) cards. So I may apply for one of those as well.
- Bank of America Alaska Airlines cards. I am not sure if I’ll try applying for multiples or not (I know some people have gotten 4 or 5 in a day, but I’ve heard they’re cracking down on that), but we both will probably get one personal card, and I may get a business card as well.
August 2015 credit card churn results
- Citi Hilton HHonors 75,000 point offer. Carolyn instantly approved with an $18,000 credit limit. I was pending, but after calling into the Citi reconsideration phone number, the agent told me that given the other Citi cards I already have, they were at the maximum total amount of credit they were willing to give me, so we moved some credit around, and I was approved with an $8000 limit
- American Express SPG Business card – instantly approved
- Carolyn was instantly approved for an Alaska card. I detailed my problems trying to apply for 2 Alaska cards at the same time, but I believe both of mine were approved. One was instantly approved, and the agent on the phone said that the other one was approved too, but still going through processing. It definitely wasn’t rejected as a duplicate.
- I ended up not applying for any other Business cards (Chase or Alaska)
So that would be 6 cards, which should give 255,000 points and $200 in statement credits after meeting $12,000 in spending in the next 3 months. Sounds like I got my work cut out for me, especially if other portals follow Top Cashback’s lead in limiting the amount of cashback that you can get for American Express gift cards!
I don’t have individual affiliate links to these cards, but most of these cards are accessible through my links at creditcards.com. You don’t have to use my links if you’re signing up for credit cards (and you should always make sure that they represent the best deal), but if you do, I appreciate it!