Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
I know that sometimes in the travel world, posts and information come fast and furious, and even I don’t always keep up to date on EVERYTHING that is going on. And I actually spend a good bit of time each day checking in on things – I can only imagine what it might be like for someone who doesn’t spend that time. So periodically I like to take a look back at some of the top stories of the week or month just to make sure all the good stuff gets seen.
As always, if you want the freshest family travel news delivered right to your inbox each morning, you’ll want to sign up for our email newsletter!
March was a busy month here – during my featured week on Boarding Area I was writing 4 or 5 posts a day (woah!). So I can understand if you missed some – here were some of the top stories for March:
I took a trip out to Utah for a work conference – while I was there, I took some time to finish up visiting every county in Utah, visited Four Corners monument, wondered if it was ever a good idea to stay at a Rodeway Inn (it wasn’t that bad!) and pondered when hotels can’t seem to get the little things right.
- This month I finally finished up reporting on our trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico (which happened back in January) – you can read my reviews of Old San Juan Puerto Rico and the Condado San Juan Puerto Rico region.
- It’s always fun to play the game of “Is this a road? Or somebody’s driveway?”
- My family is planning a trip on Amtrak this summer – find out how we booked a $6500 train trip (for free, natch!)
- Great recaps of when I visited all 88 counties in Ohio in 24 hours, when I jumped in all 5 Great Lakes in one day (with video!) and a timelapse video of 28 hours driving through every county of the 6 New England states.
- It wasn’t what most people might consider a “5 star” hotel, but it was the first one I’ve stayed at that got 5 stars from me!
- Traveling #hobostyle
- Read about our family’s travel experiences with the essay questions I wrote for Hilton Mom Vacation – I didn’t win 🙁
- Here’s what I’m doing now that US Airways and American Airlines miles have combined
- How to avoid “analysis paralysis” when trying to book awards.
- Would you rather spend 10,000 SPG points, or 50,000 Hilton points?
Family Travel for Real Life conference
I attended the Family Travel for Real Life conference early in March and it was a great time – meeting some old friends, new buddies, and learning quite a bit about travel along the way! I live-blogged the entire conference, and if you missed any of the sessions, check it out!
- Family Travel for Real Life (#FT4RL) 2015 – Bonnie the Frugal Travel Lawyer on “the new Frontier”
- Family Travel for Real Life (#FT4RL) 2015 #2 – Leslie from Trips with Tykes on mastering the International House of Mickey
- Family Travel for Real Life (#FT4RL) 2015 #3 – Jason Steele on the current state and sweet spots in the miles and points world
- Family Travel for Real Life (#FT4RL) 2015 #4 – Kenny from Miles4More on National Parks and off the beaten path family destinations
- Family Travel for Real Life (#FT4RL) 2015 #5 – Shawn from Miles to Memories on immersive travel: family adventures, educational experiences, and ways to give back
- 1000 AAdvantage miles for renting a car with National.
- How to get a free trip to Sweden (there’s only one, tiny catch) 😀
- 12,500 AAdvantage miles for changing energy providers
- Copa Airlines is starting a new frequent flyer program – you can get 1000 free miles if you sign up now.
- Chase Freedom refer a friend is BACK! Get 5000 points for referring friends and family to the Chase Freedom card
This month, I (finally) introduced the Mile Matrix, an app that attempts to answer the question – “how many miles does it take to go from any country, to any other country, on any airline?” It’s still in beta right now, but I still encourage you to check it out!
- Mile Matrix: Any country to any other country on any airline
- Mile Matrix: FAQs on how to use the app to check the mile price between any countries on any airline
- Using the Mile Matrix app to help a reader travel to Australia
Tips and Tricks
- Here’s a simple trick for when you’re using your British Airways Avios to fly on American or US Airways (to avoid having to wait on hold for an hour with BA!)
- Do annual fees count towards meeting the minimum spend on credit cards?
- An easy trick on how to get top rental car status with several rental car chains.
- 4 ways not to pay the UK Air Passenger Duty when visiting Great Britain.
- There’s been 50 hotels that have disappeared from the IHG Point Breaks List
- Maximizing your ride with the Amtrak zone map
- A simple trick on how to search Star Alliance flights 7 days at a time
- 4 tips for how to survive a red eye flight in economy
- Why you should NOT call the reconsideration line
- Here’s why you want to transfer your hard-earned Chase Ultimate Rewards to Choice Hotels.
- My readers came up with some awesome travel tips in every possible facet of traveling – check them out!
- You might be interested in the parable of the 47 mail-in rebates (based on a true story!)
- What’s always in your luggage? See my answers and more!
- When is a “free one way” not really free? It nearly burned me – has the allure of the “free” one way caught you too?
- If you haven’t seen the site roadtrippers.com – you’re missing out!
- Aisle seat or window seat? I’ve got the definitive answer to the age-old question
- Do you travel differently when someone else is paying?
- Why parents of children should NOT give out “goodie bags” to fellow passengers
- How I got 1,000,000 points (and you can too!) and on the other side of the spectrum, how our family eats for less than $1 / meal
If you still can’t get enough, you can check out some of the weekly review posts below: