Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
With the thermometer hovering around 29 degrees, I’ve had a warm-weather vacation on the brain. Luckily for me, United recently announced that between now and February 24th, they’re offering 5,000 points off of economy roundtrips between the US and Mexico.
- This offer for discounted Saver Awards is available to all MileagePlus members
- Saver award discount is only valid for air travel
- Tickets must be booked no later than 11:59 p.m. CST on February 24, 2017
- Offer is valid for travel beginning on or after April 29, 2017, and completed on or before May 26, 2017
- Offer is valid for travel on all days of the week
- Discounted Saver Award is only valid for roundtrip travel between Mexico and the United States (excluding Hawaii) or Canada
- Discounted Saver Award is only valid for roundtrip travel in United Economy
- See all terms and conditions here
So while I might not be able to escape the cold weather right now, it is a great opportunity to book an early Spring trip to Mexico!
Is it worth it?
To decide if this sale was worth it, I priced out Newark to Cancun for 4/29 – 5/5. In points, as expected, it came to 30,000 plus $74.83 in taxes.
In cash? The same exact flights came to… $295.33, including taxes.
When you factor in the taxes I’d have to pay on the award redemption, I’m really only saving $220.50 by using points. To me, that’s not a really great use of points, as they would be worth $0.007 each, which is way lower than I value United miles.
It’s always great to save miles, especially when you’re trying to plan a vacation for more than a couple (Dan’s family would save 40,000 points with this promotion!), but make sure to check the comparable cash price, as you may get a better deal paying in cash.
Header image courtesy of René Bongard.