Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
Southwest is well known for having periodic fare sales, and they are back with another one
You have to book by December 1st (next Thursday). The fine print of the offer says
- Book by December 1, 2016 for travel in the U.S. November 29, 2016 through May 8, 2017.
- Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico valid January 17, 2017 through March 2, 2017, and April 18, 2017 through May 8, 2017
- 4-day advance purchase required. Domestic travel is not valid on Friday and Sunday.
- Travel to Florida and Nevada and from Florida to Nevada is valid only on Sundays through Wednesdays.
- Travel from Florida and Nevada and from Nevada to Florida is valid only on Tuesdays through Fridays.
- Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico is valid Monday – Thursday.
Fares depend on the cities you’re looking at – since annoyingly Southwest does not fly out of my home airport of Cincinnati (thanks, Delta!), here is an example of Columbus, Ohio.
Columbus doesn’t have any of the $49 sales, but there is a sale to DC for $59 which was mildly intriguing. I was actually looking to possibly book tickets to New York City (LaGuardia), but the only fare deals I saw were from Indianapolis, at $69 one-way. I’m not sure a $138 roundtrip ticket is worth the 2 hour drive – last time I booked a flight out of Indianapolis for the last Family Travel for Real Life conference, as I made that 2 hour drive, I wondered why I did that…
Check your existing Southwest bookings
The other thing to do with these Southwest fare sales is to check your existing bookings. Because of Southwest’s amazing cancellation policy, there is no penalty for changing your flight if the price goes down.
(SEE ALSO: How to cancel a Southwest flight – 1 easy step!)
In fact, last time Southwest had a fare sale, I was able to find a cheaper flight for my flight down to the Family Travel for Real Life conference and ended up being able to rebook it at the lower cost
(SEE ALSO: Southwest just PAID me to take the same flight!)
Now granted, it was only a savings of $9, but hey that’s 9 free dollars!
Were you able to book (or re-book!) any Southwest flights with this fare sale? Let us know in the comments