Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
Winter Wonderland or Tropical Paradise? That’s the question Alaska is asking consumers with their latest fare sale! Read on to see where you can fly for only $49, but act fast, as this deal ends January 9th!
- Seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or all days
- Bag fees apply for checked baggage. An additional VAT fee from $2.15 (CAD) per bag for bags checked in Canada may apply. For travel solely within the state of Alaska, customers may check up to three bags free of charge. Additional fees apply to check more than three bags or overweight or oversized items. These fares are nonrefundable and are only available on flights marketed by Alaska Airlines for travel on Alaska Airlines, Virgin America, Horizon Air, SkyWest, or PenAir
- A ticket purchased at an Alaska Airlines airport location or through one of our reservation call centers will cost $15.00 more per person than the advertised fare. Applicable fare and tax differences apply to any changes made after ticketing
- A $125(USD) change fee per person applies to changes made within 60 days of ticketed travel. The change fee is waived when travel is wholly within the state of Alaska on flights operated by Alaska Airlines
- Fares include U.S. government taxes and fees. Canadian and Mexican government taxes and fees that are included in the fares shown are based on the current currency exchange rate and are subject to change. All fares are in U.S. dollars and are subject to change without notice, and other restrictions apply
- Some markets may not operate daily service
- Some flights may be operated by or in conjunction with Virgin America, Horizon Air, SkyWest, or PenAir.
As you might expect, the cheapest fares are all West Coast-based, and either in small markets, or markets with a lot of competition.
Los Angeles to Seattle for only $59 is a great value, that like paying only $0.06 cents per mile. It’s also currently cheaper than comparable Delta and American flights, but the same price as United. Remember, it pays to shop around, as these deals may not always represent the best value!
Again, Orange County to San Jose (CA) is definitely the headlining price here, but there are some other good sales as well, such as:
- Salt Lake City to San Jose (CA), $59
- Las Vegas to Bellingham, $69
- Burbank to Seattle, $77
Does Using Miles Make Sense?
You can see that some of the routes also have cheap points redemptions, such as Salt Lake City to San Jose (CA) roundtrip for only 10,000 miles. That sounds like a great deal, but remember, the dollar value of that fare is only $116.40, which means you’re only getting about 1.1 cents per point, which isn’t a great redemption value for Alaska.
It pays to shop around though, because Alaska’s new distance-based chart is providing some unusual benefits on some routes!
Fare sales can be great, but always remember to check out the competition first! You can check out all the deals at this website, and remember, the sale ends on January 9th, so get booking, as seats will probably sell fast!