Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
For a bit of background, last week Hyatt’s SVP of Loyalty, Jeff Zidell, did an Ask Me Anything (AMA) on reddit about Hyatt’s new 2017 loyalty program, World of Hyatt
The AMA…. didn’t go too well, though personally I did appreciate Jeff sticking around well past the initial 30 minute timeline answering reader’s questions
(READ MORE: Hyatt’s AMA on reddit was not QUITE a disaster…)
Still, it felt like there was a lot of frustration from people that their questions were not being answered (See below for a screengrab of the AMA on reddit)
Based on some of the questions and some of Jeff’s answers, I thought there might be an opportunity to better understand some of the strategy behind the shift from Hyatt Gold Passport to World of Hyatt
The questions…. so far
Here are some of the questions I’m considering asking Jeff. I’d like to get the input of the readers because while I have an interest in Hyatt and its loyalty program, I am by no means a road warrior. I didn’t even get Hyatt Diamond status when they were giving it away to anyone with a pulse!
- Why does Hyatt not grant Tier-Qualifying Nights for award stays? Every major Hyatt competitor now counts award nights toward status
- Why does Hyatt not allow earning Tier-Qualifying Nights on more than 1 room per night?
- Why does Award night availability differ so much from Cash + Points Award night availability? I would think that if an award night is available it should also be bookable with Cash + Points.
- Why does Hyatt continue to let certain hotels play games with award availability? Andaz Maui is the biggest offender (create a new room category to reduce number of standard rooms, sell rest of standard room availability to travel providers such as Costco travel so that there are whole 13 month periods without award availability, even at the end of the schedule). There are plenty of other examples
- What was the rationale between completely dropping the stay requirement instead of raising it to match the new World of Hyatt tiers? e.g., 60 nights or 30 stays instead of the current 50 nights or 25 stays?
- Why is only Discoverist status granted with the Hyatt credit card and not Explorist status? I am not sure the annual fee is worth keeping the card.
- Can you give insight into the Hyatt / MLife partnership and specifically why the change where Diamonds/Globalists will only get MLife Gold instead of MLife Platinum?
- Why does spending $50,000 on a purchased credit card only get medium tier? Hilton and other brands give Diamond which includes executive club upgrades for $40,000 in spend?
- Trends show growth is in Hyatt Place/House – where status perks such as breakfast and upgrades mean nothing. Why would the Place/House traveler commit to double the nights required to earn a status that derives them little benefit to begin with? What would you say to someone considering a shift to Marriott/Hilton with 5X the footprint?
- What was the rationale from removing the 1000 point welcome amenity for Diamond / Globalist members?
I also want to get some “quick hitter” responses – the idea on these is to get a one word / one sentence / top of the mind answer. Here’s what I’ve got so far
- Why should I stay loyal to Hyatt?
- Can you please tell us (in plain English, not corporate-speak) the single biggest reason that led Hyatt to decide to phase Gold Passport into World of Hyatt?
- Why are new DSU not issued at requalifying but only on March 1?
- Who do you think benefits from this change? Who gets the short end of the stick on this change?
- What is the one program change that would be most exciting for you if you did the same number of Hyatt stays you do now?
- For people who may have status matched or challenged to Hyatt (Diamond) in the past, is W.O.H. a distinct loyalty program so that they may be able to match/challenge again?
- For existing Diamonds who will become Globalists in 2017, will we have to earn 55 or 60 nights to maintain our Globalist status?
Now it’s your turn
Which of these questions do you most want answered, or are there other questions that you’d like to see?
Leave your World of Hyatt questions in the comments!