Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email with all the best travel news
One thing that has separated some of the top-notch foreign-owned airlines from the “Big 3” US domestic airlines is the creation of a “Premium Economy” fare class between economy and business. British Airways, Air France Qantas and Singapore Airlines are among the foreign carriers that have a premium economy fare class
This morning, the new American Airlines premium economy was introduced, with an official press release from American. American is the first US-based carrier to offer a separate premium economy class.
Introducing the new American Airlines Premium Economy
American Airlines premium economy will offer
- Wider, more spacious (leather) seats (38 inch pitch) with more legroom
- Complimentary beer and wine and “enhanced” in-food dining
- Noise canceling headphones
- IFE at every seat
- AC and USB outlets at every seat, along with complimentary international wi-fi
Which planes will get American Airlines premium economy?
According to American’s press release, the first plane to get the new American Airlines premium economy will be their new Boeing 787-9, which is slated to be released in late 2016. Over the next 3 years, they will also add American Airlines Premium Economy to all of their Boeing 777-300ERs, 777-200ERs, 787-8s and Airbus A330s, but not the 767s.
Cost of American Airlines premium economy
One question that has not really been answered is the cost of American Airlines premium economy, both in miles and dollars. Comparing it to some of the other airlines’ premium economy offerings, you can expect a significant cost premium. Here’s an example of a random flight search I did between New York and Singapore
From a miles perspective, it will likely be about halfway in between the miles needed for economy and those needed for business.
If you are up for more information, here are some of the other bloggers that have reported on the new American Airlines premium economy class
- View from the Wing – American Airlines is Introducing a Real Premium Economy on International Flights
- Pizza in Motion – American Airlines Is Rolling Out A Premium Economy Cabin
- Travel Skills – American will bring Premium Economy to long-haul fleet
- Travel Codex – American Airlines Unveils New Premium Economy Class
You can also do an interactive demo of American Airlines premium economy at Explore the new American