Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email with all the best travel news
It’s March “Mayhem” (hey I don’t want to get sued, ya know)! Since this is one of my favorite times of the year, I thought I’d celebrate by running a bracket competition so we can determine the best miles and points tool out there.
- Thursday March 17th – #1 Award Wallet vs. #16 Boingo Wifi and #6 Rome2Rio vs. #11 Check My Trip
- Friday March 18th – #8 FlyerMiler vs. #9 Seatguru and #2 Autoslash vs. #15 Osmand
- Saturday March 19th – #3 Google Flights / ITA Matrix vs. #14 Cashback Monitor and #5 Award Mapper vs. #12 Expert Flyer
- Sunday March 20th – #7 Hotel Hustle vs. #10 Flight Aware and #4 Airline Route Mapper vs. #13 The Flight Deal
That left us with the following bracket – down to the final 8 tools! Now it’s time for the quarterfinals!
Here’s our schedule for the quarterfinals
- Thursday, March 24th – #12 Expert Flyer vs. #13 The Flight Deal
- Friday, March 25th – #3 Google Flights / ITA Matrix vs. #6 Rome2Rio
- Saturday, March 26th – #1 Award Wallet vs. #9 Seatguru
- Sunday, March 27th – #2 Autoslash vs. #10 Flight Aware
Each game is still open for voting! Next Tuesday (the 29th) we will close voting in all 4 contests and announce the final 4 tools.
Travel Hacking March Mayhem Quarterfinal #4: #2 Autoslash vs. #10 Flight Aware
Our final quarterfinal should be a great matchup – #2 Autoslash defeated #15 Osmand by 72% to 28%, while #10 Flight Aware BARELY beat #7 Hotel Hustle, 52% to 48%
I’ve written before about Autoslash, which is a tool that you can use to get the best price on a rental car. They have an option that can let you book your rental car directly with them, but I have not found that to be as effective. Where the magic happens is that you can book a car anywhere online, and then enter your details into Autoslash. It’s how I got a car that Avis was renting for over $100 / DAY for just over $100 for AN ENTIRE WEEK! More recently, I had another huge success with using Autoslash to save about 50% on my car rental
I use Flight Aware to track aircraft movements. It lists historical flights for just about every possible combination. I’ll often use that when I am tracking my flights, to make sure what type of aircraft flew a particular route, along with what the exact takeoff and landing times were (because you know, I like to keep accurate records!) 🙂
So which will it be? #2 Autoslash vs. #10 Flight Aware? Vote below!