Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
I hope that you’ve enjoyed the past week of travel information – here’s a recap of what you may have missed from Points With a Crew over the past week or so
Don’t get me wrong – I love using miles and points to get free travel
But there’s something different about using “free” night hotel certificates
Which makes me wonder – why do people think free hotel nights are a good idea?
It’s been a long journey since my business class flight on Aer Lingus was canceled back in September
But now, after months of following up, they are finally sending me 2 checks totaling $1306!
Now if we can only get British Airways to cooperate on their side (they are giving me the runaround!)
One problem with booking hotel nights on points is that it often books you into the lowest possible room
Without elite status, there’s not much hope of getting any kind of upgrade
I tried reaching out to the hotel directly, and I was able to upgrade my hotel room for only $10!
Other news of the week
- The Bank of America Museums on Us program gives all Bank of America credit and debit card holders into over 150 museums for free on the first weekend of each month!
- It used to be that you could always use a simple trick to buy IHG points for 0.7 cents per point. You can still do that, but it looks like IHG is also exploring other options while booking, including being able to book them as low as 0.6 cents per point!
- Now that short-haul flights on British Airways Avios are no longer 4500 Avios, there IS a way you can still use Avios for short-haul flights!
- There are (at least!) 3 “hidden” credit card offers currently available that are above and beyond the standard bonuses.
- $25 for a test drive, $100 for a hotel stay and lemonade
If you’re still up for more travel reading, here’s last week’s recap: The 3 things about hotels that drive me crazy