Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
Today is New Year’s Eve, so if you’re like many (most? some? any?) people, you very well could be out on the town tonight and possibly looking for a ride home later. Personally, our family’s tradition is sitting home, watching a movie and chugging root beer floats 🙂 But if you’re partying tonight, you might be wondering about some New Year’s Eve Uber promo codes, tips or deals or Lyft promo codes, tips or deals.
New Year’s Eve Uber promo codes, deals, tips
Uber has put out their annual page talking about tips, deals and suggestion for New Year’s Eve. In it, they suggest that prices are likely to be higher between midnight and 3 a.m., local time. Here is a graphic that Uber shared back in 2014, but the concept is the same – if you’re looking for New Year’s Eve Uber deals, you need to either leave early, or leave late.
Expect Uber New Year’s Eve rates to have plenty of surge pricing
Last night I paid $83 for a 5 minute uber ride… What is the world coming to
— Riley Tegtmeyer (@RileyTeg) January 1, 2016
9.9x Uber surge here in Miami Beach right now… highest I’ve ever seen pic.twitter.com/oX0ZxftfI7
— Brian Stelter (@brianstelter) January 1, 2016
New Year’s Eve Lyft promo codes, tips and deals
Similarly to Uber, expect prices for New Year’s Eve Lyft deals to be extremely high.
I generally don’t have a problem with surge pricing, as long as it’s adequately disclosed – it’s a known quantity, and if Lyft and Uber surge pricing didn’t exist, then you wouldn’t have enough drivers to meet demand.
Now (BEFORE you go out) is the time to plan your New Year’s Eve plans. Personally, I don’t drink alcohol so this is not as big an issue for me 🙂
Free New Year’s Eve rides – AAA Tipsy Tow
AAA has a “Tipsy Tow” program called the “Holiday Safe Ride” program. AAA clubs in certain areas of the country offer free rides home on New Year’s Eve (and other dates as well). Check AAA’s site for a complete list (as it can change periodically),
- The Auto Club Group “Tow-to-Go” (statewide in Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. In Nebraska, only in Omaha and Lincoln)
- AAA Arizona (statewide)
- AAA South Dakota (Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Mitchell and Yankton)
- AAA Oklahoma (Metro Tulsa, Metro Oklahoma City, Shawnee, Bartlesville, Enid, Muskogee, Tahlequah, Ardmore and Lawton)
- AAA Tidewater (Greater Hampton Roads area: cities of Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Newport News, Hampton, Poquoson, Yorktown and Williamsburg, VA) – program runs through January 1
- AAA MountainWest (Helena, East Helena, Montana City, Billings, Bozeman/Belgrade, Missoula, Whitefish, Kalispell, Livingston and Hamilton)
- AAA Findlay (Hancock County, Ohio) Local motorists must dial (419) 425-3908. Program runs through December 31.
- Automobile Club of Southern California (in all club territories)
- AAA Northern California (all club territories)
- AAA Nevada (Statewide)
- AAA Utah (Statewide)
- AAA Texas (statewide)
- AAA New Mexico (statewide)
- AAA Hawaii
- AAA Alabama Tow-For-Life
- AAA Allied Group
- Kansas Care Cab, 785-357-4444 (Shawnee County/Topeka area only, AAA has no call center involvement) – programs run 8 p.m. –4 a.m. Dec. 31.
- AAA Allied Group (Ohio) ArriveSafe – provides cab rides for Montgomery County residents only. AAA has no call center involvement – local motorists must dial 937-449-9999. (Program runs 6 p.m. Dec. 23 – 6 a.m. Dec. 26 and 6 p.m. Dec. 30 – 6 a.m. January 2)
Call 1-800-AAA-HELP to see if this New Year’s Eve deal is available in your area – generally this is only available for existing AAA members
New Year’s Eve Uber promo codes and Lyft promo codes
Unfortunately there aren’t a ton of New Year’s Eve Uber promo codes or Lyft promo codes out there, especially for existing users. Here are a few Uber promo codes and deals that I know about
- If you have not signed up with Lyft yet, you can get $10 in ride credits if you’re a new user by using my Lyft referral link. I will also get a $10 credit – thanks in advance
- Here is an Uber promo code also for new Uber users – you can get $20 off your first ride by signing up through my affiliate link.
Good luck and stay safe out there during New Year’s Eve!