Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
Today is New Year’s Eve, so if you’re like many (most? some? any?) people, you very well could be out on the town tonight and possibly looking for a ride home later. Personally, our family’s tradition is sitting home, watching a movie and chugging root beer floats 🙂 But if you’re partying tonight, you might be wondering about some New Year’s Eve Uber promo codes, tips or deals or Lyft promo codes, tips or deals.
2017 New Year’s Eve Uber promo codes, deals, tips
Uber has put out their annual page talking about tips, deals and suggestion for New Year’s Eve. In it, they suggest that prices are likely to be higher between midnight and 3 a.m., local time. Here is a graphic that Uber shared back in 2014, but the concept is the same – if you’re looking for New Year’s Eve Uber deals, you need to either leave early, or leave late.
Expect Uber New Year’s Eve rates to have plenty of surge pricing
Last night I paid $83 for a 5 minute uber ride… What is the world coming to
— Riley Tegtmeyer (@RileyTeg) January 1, 2016
9.9x Uber surge here in Miami Beach right now… highest I’ve ever seen pic.twitter.com/oX0ZxftfI7
— Brian Stelter (@brianstelter) January 1, 2016
A few New Year’s Eve Uber tips to save money with Uber
- Demand (pricing) will be highest between midnight and 3 a.m.
- Use Multiple Stops to pick up friends and share 1 Uber ride
- You can Split Fare within the app
- Use UberPOOL to share / split rides
New Year’s Eve Lyft promo codes, tips and deals
Similarly to Uber, expect prices for New Year’s Eve Lyft deals to be extremely high.
I generally don’t have a problem with surge pricing, as long as it’s adequately disclosed – it’s a known quantity, and if Lyft and Uber surge pricing didn’t exist, then you wouldn’t have enough drivers to meet demand.
Now (BEFORE you go out) is the time to plan your New Year’s Eve plans. Personally, I don’t drink alcohol so this is not as big an issue for me 🙂
Free New Year’s Eve rides – AAA Tipsy Tow
AAA has a “Tipsy Tow” program called the “Holiday Safe Ride” program. AAA clubs in certain areas of the country offer free rides home on New Year’s Eve (and other dates as well). Check AAA’s site for a complete list (as it can change periodically),
- AAA Arizona (statewide) Program runs 6 p.m. Dec. 24 – 6 a.m. December 25 and 6 p.m. December 31 – 6 a.m. January 1.
- AAA Findlay Auto Club (Hancock County, Ohio) Local motorists must dial (419) 425-3908. Program runs through December 31.
- AAA MountainWest (Montana: Helena, East Helena, Montana City, Billings, Bozeman/Belgrade, Missoula, Whitefish, Kalispell, Livingston, Hamilton and Polson: Alaska: Anchorage) Program runs from December 24 through January 1.
- AAA Nevada (statewide) Program runs 6 p.m. December 24 – 6 a.m. December 25 and 6 p.m. December 31 – 6 a.m. January 1.
- AAA Northern California (all club territories) Program runs 6 p.m. December 24 – 6 a.m. December 25 and 6 p.m. December 31 – 6 a.m. January 1.
- AAA Oklahoma (Metro Tulsa, Metro Oklahoma City, Shawnee, Bartlesville, Enid, Muskogee, Tahlequah, Ardmore and Lawton) Program runs from now until 4 a.m. January 2.
- AAA South Dakota (Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Mitchell and Yankton) Program runs from now until 4 a.m. January 2.
- AAA Tidewater (Greater Hampton Roads area: cities of Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Newport News, Hampton, Poquoson, Yorktown and Williamsburg, VA) Program runs through 6 a.m. January 1.
- AAA Utah (statewide) Program runs 6 p.m. December 24 – 6 a.m. December 25 and 6 p.m. December 31 – 6 a.m. January 1.
- The Auto Club Group “Tow-to-Go” (statewide in Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota and Tennessee. In Indiana, Fort Wayne and South Bend only. In Wisconsin, Wausau only.) Program runs December 22 – 6 a.m. on January 2.
Taxi Ride Programs:
- AAA Allied Group (Ohio) ArriveSafe – provides cab rides for Montgomery County residents only. AAA has no call center involvement – local motorists must dial 937-449-9999.
Program available for New Year’s Eve Only:
- AAA Alabama Tow-For-Life
- AAA Allied Group
- AAA Hawaii
- AAA New Mexico (statewide) Program runs 6 p.m. December 31 – 6 a.m. January 1.
- AAA Reading-Berks (Berks County, PA)
- AAA Texas (statewide) Program runs 6 p.m. December 31 – 6 a.m. January 1.
- Automobile Club of Southern California (Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Los Angeles, Mono, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Tulare and Ventura counties).
- Kansas Tipsy Taxi, 785-842-8294 (Lawrence area only, AAA has no call center involvement).
New Year’s Eve Uber promo codes and Lyft promo codes
Unfortunately there aren’t a ton of New Year’s Eve Uber promo codes or Lyft promo codes out there, especially for existing users. One option would be to sign up for the American Express Platinum card (found on our top credit card offers page), but that’s unlikely to help last-minute riders!
Here are a few Uber promo codes and deals that I know about
- If you have not signed up with Lyft yet, you can get $5 in ride credits if you’re a new user by using my Lyft referral link. I will also get a credit – thanks in advance
- Here is an Uber promo code also for new Uber users – you can get $20 total ($5 off your first 4 rides) by signing up through my affiliate link.
Good luck and stay safe out there during New Year’s Eve!