Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email with all the best travel news
This has been a crazy week. As a “featured blogger” on Boarding Area this week, I have tried to post more often to take advantage of the increased readers. I hope that you’ve enjoyed the week – I’ve had fun, but I might go take a nap this afternoon 😀
Why I didn’t spend $9,144.92 on my vacation: A listing of our travel expenses for our recent trip to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. It’s amazing what miles and points can do for you
How I got us 16 extra hours in Rome… for FREE! – the magic of an involuntary schedule change by American let me change our flights to get us an extra 16 hours in Rome!
The big news of the week was that the Amtrak Guest Rewards 2.0 details were leaked – it’s bad news. We later did some sleuthing to figure out which bank is (probably) going to issue the new Amtrak Guest Rewards credit card.
- Simple trick to find hotels along a route – there are a few hotel chains that let you search for rooms in cities along a given driving route
- Ranking the 8 hotels we stayed at on our vacation – on our recent stay, we stayed 9 nights across 8 hotels in 5 different brands across 3 different chains (Hyatt, IHG and Choice). Find out which hotel we ranked #1
- The comprehensive guide to Amtrak: everything you need to know
- Trying to plan a European airport lounge strategy
- Every Kid in a Park – FREE national park access for families – If you have a child going into the 4th grade, you are eligible for a new program that gives FREE entry into EVERY National Park!
- When hotel day rooms make sense and how to find them
Miles, Points and Credit Cards
- My first forays into trying to resell gift cards
- 100 Free Marriott points – takes 10 seconds – great way to extend the life of your Marriott points!
- Citi reconsideration phone number and website
- Making sure you are getting the best credit card offer
- Current credit card churning rules and best practices
- Planning my next credit card churn – it’s time for a new credit card churn – find out which 4 cards I’ve got my eye on!
- SPG Amex 30K offers for personal and business cards
- REMINDER: 30,000 Club Carlson points for any stay
- Alaska Airlines status match: MVP Gold 75K status without ever flying a mile
News and Notes
- 2 #giveaways, a Singapore award sweet spot, #ChildFreeFlights, tax ripoffs, back to school shopping and more
- Planning a #Cincinnati / Southwest Ohio miles and points meetup – we’ve already got at least 7 people coming, so if you are looking for an in-person hangout to talk miles and points, make sure to sign up!
- Well how long would it take YOU to hike 58 mountains? – keeping travel expenses down, fighting lack of Hyatt award availability, a nightmare Frontier experience, and the Alaska / Emirates relationship
If you’re still up for more travel reader, here’s last week’s recap: 8 headlines you might have missed – Best Western card, 500 free miles at 2 different places, a multi-date search for IHG and Google Maps Transit on steroids