Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email with all the best travel news
As a reminder, there are 282 SPG hotels that are changing in category, effective March 1st. You may recall that February is a short month :-), so that means you only have a few days left! March 1st is Tuesday, so any bookings at the current levels need to be done by Monday night!
Hotels you might want to book now
- 1 is going down 2 categories (the Sheraton Dubrovnik in Croatia)
- 113 are going down 1 category
- 166 are going up 1 category
- 1 is going up 2 categories – the Element Hanover in Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA
- 1 hotel is going up FOUR categories – The Four Points by Sheraton Penghu in Taiwan is going from a Category 1 (2000 points on weekends and 3000 points on weekdays) to a Category 5 – 12,000 to 16,000 points / night! Not sure what is up with that but I’m bummed I missed it!
We are actually heading up to Columbus in April and one of our plans was to stay at the Sheraton Suites Columbus, so I need to remember to at least make a speculative booking of that, even if our plans change (saves me 1000 Starpoints as it’s going from a Category 2 to Category 3). We’ve stayed there before but this time thanks to the SPG Business Amex, I’ll get free dinner and breakfast in the lounge!
Mommy Points has a list of 22 hotels that you want to book now, including the Walt Disney World Swan, the London Park Lane and the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista
Map of the SPG Category changes
You can see the official list of the SPG hotels that are changing category at SPG’s site here. As is usual with these types of announcements, I made a map
Looking at it visually can show you that even though Starwood spins it as there are 40% of the hotels going DOWN in price, most of the increases are in North America and western Europe (where I’d imagine much of their visits come from!
So book by Monday if you are planning on booking any of these hotels!