Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
Last month, Alaska announced that each Virgin Elevate point will be transferred to 1.3 Alaska miles. Looks like the Virgin Elevate point transfer is finally live! I will show you how to transfer Virgin Elevate points to Alaska step by step.
Transfers appear to be one way only. You can move points from Virgin Elevate to Alaska, but not from the other way around. So unless you have an urgent need for Alaska miles, do not rush to transfer Elevate points, as the transfer function will remain until the Elevate program goes away.
How to transfer Virgin Elevate points to Alaska
Below is how to transfer Virgin Elevate points to Alaska step by step. During the process, you will be able to link your Elevate account to your Alaska account. The transfer will be processed by points.com.
- Start at the landing page.
- Sign into your Elevate account and you will find on the next page:
- Click on the big circle on the right under “Turn into”, you will see Alaska MileagePlus show up.
- Add the program, you will be prompted to register your email. The email you use for your Elevate account will be automatically filled in. Click “Continue to Next Step”.
- Click “Next Step” you will find Alaska MileagePlan now listed as the transfer option. If your Elevate account hasn’t been linked to Alaska MileagePlan account, click on “Register Program” and enter information for your Alaska account.
- Move the slider to choose how many Elevate points you would like to transfer. The screen will show your current MileagePlan balance, and the new balance after the transfer.
- On the next page, it will ask you if you to confirm the transfer. Click “Convert Now” to complete the transfer.
I did a test and transferred 100 Elevate points. I received an email immediately confirming the transfer is being processed.
A friend of mine was one of the lucky ones who received an email from Alaska last month saying that they found her accounts. Her Elevate and MileagePlan accounts were already linked. Last night she transferred some Elevate points to Alaska. About 10 minutes the transfer was completed.
But not so lucky for me. This morning I checked both my Elevate and Alaska accounts and the transfer hasn’t been reflected yet. I am not sure how long it would take. I will report back when I see the points updated in the accounts. And maybe I would get a bonus 10,000 Alaska miles like Dan did.
Word of Caution
Unless you need Alaska miles immediately for a specific award redemption, I would not transfer Elevate points to Alaska yet. The transfer is one-way only. Once they are in your Alaska account, you will not be able to get it back. You never know when you might want to use Elevate points for award flights on their partners.