Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
On Tuesday this week, United Airlines announced plans to expand services on 11 routes to the Aloha state, starting on December 20, 2017.
Expanded service on 11 routes
The latest expansion will make United the airline with the most flights between mainland USA and the Hawaiian Islands. The expansion does not affect Honolulu.
- Denver to KOA, LIH & OGG – current seasonal service will become year-round daily service;
- Chicago to OGG – current Saturday only seasonable service will become year-round 5 times a week except Tue/Wed;
- Los Angeles to Hilo – currently 5 times a week will increase to daily service;
- Los Angeles to KOA and LIH – increase to two flights daily from one;
- Los Angeles to OGG – increase to three flights daily from two;
- San Francisco to KOA – increase to three flights daily from two;
- San Francisco to LIH – current seasonal daily service will become twice daily year-round;
- San Francisco to OGG – current 3 flights daily will increase to 5 flights daily.
Expansion of lie-flat seating to Hawaii
Beyond the increased services, United will upgrade the premium cabin on a number of Hawaii flights. Beginning this summer, the airline will add premium cabin with lie-flat seats on all overnight flights between Hawaii and Chicago, Denver, Houston, New York/Newark and Washington, D.C.
Booking United award flights to Hawaii
The expansion is great news to us who collect points and miles for free travel. There are number of options for booking United awards to Hawaii:
- Book directly with United (transfer from Chase): 22,500 in coach and 40,000 in business each way;
- Book with Singapore airlines (transfer from Amex, Citi, Chase, & SPG) – 17,500 in coach and 30,000 in business each way;
- Book with Aeroplan (transfer from Amex, Chase & SPG) – 22,500 in coach and 40,000 in business each way;
- Book with ANA (transfer from Amex & SPG) – 40,000 in coach and 68,000 in business round-trip.
United’s schedule is currently open through mid-May 2018. Availability in coach is OK, but availability in premium class are exceptional!
The United expanded services to Hawaii are definitely welcome news to those who love to travel to the beautiful Aloha state. Perhaps more competition will bring cash fares down as well.