Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email with all the best travel news
A few days ago, Frequent Miler alerted me to the fact that there was an increased signup bonus on the BBVA Compass NBA American Express card (not an affiliate link)
Here are some reasons why I signed up for this card
- No annual fee, so it would be a good card to keep longer-term to help (eventually) increase the average age of accounts
- It’s with a bank (BBVA Compass) that is not one of the “main” banks, so I don’t have any cards with them currently
- After spending $1,000 in the first 3 months, you’ll get 20,000 “points” which is essentially a $200 statement credit
- 5x points (aka 5% cashback) on EVERYTHING during the NBA All-Star Weekend and two weeks of the NBA Finals
- Also, because this is a non-American Express issued American Express card, you can load $1000 on this card to Serve each month (not a huge deal but hey it’s a free $10 each month)
Like many others that I’ve seen, I ended up getting a “pending” answer on my application. Miles to Memories reported that there appears to be a backlog of reviewing applications, so it may be awhile. That’s okay – I’m a fan of not calling the reconsideration line.
The NBA All-Star game weekend is February 12-14th and the NBA finals will be in June.