Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
By now, you’ve probably seen the news that Citibank is “changing” some of the benefits to its Citi Prestige card benefits. This is not a huge surprise to many – the Citi Prestige benefits had been touted by many as one of the best cards to get, and any time that there is a ton of value, you’re likely to see “changes” (read: devaluations). We saw it with British Airways 4500 Avios routes, the Club Carlson Bonus night, Amtrak sleeper car travel and many others.
(SEE ALSO: What’s the best rewards deal out there?)
The Citi Prestige benefits that are changing
Here is a rundown of the Citi prestige benefits that are changing or going away
- No more 1.6 cents / point value for cash tickets on American (or 1.33 cents / point value on other airlines). All ThankYou points will be worth 1.25 cents airfare (which is the same value as points earned on the Citi ThankYou Premier
- No more 3 free golf rounds. Personally I am not a golfer so this was not a huge loss for me, though I know that many people used it to get free rounds at some of the nicest courses out there!
- No more American Airlines Admirals Club access. Personally, I have not been too impressed with Admiral’s Clubs, and in a lot of cases I find that the Priority Pass lounges (which remains one of the Citi Prestige benefts) are just as good.
- The 4th night hotel benefit is changing. Currently it is calculated as the actual cost of your 4th night. Now it will be calculated as the average of the 4 nights, and will not include taxes.
These benefits are changing as of July 23, 2017, so you still have nearly a year with the old benefits. You can view top travel rewards credit cards here. If you apply and get a card by clicking through this link, I will receive a commission
Citi Prestige benefits remaining unchanged
- The annual $250 Air Travel Credit
- $100 Statement credit for your Global Entry or TSA Pre application fee
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases
- 24/7 Access to the Citi Prestige Concierge
- 3x Points on Air Travel & Hotels, 2X points on Dining & Entertainment and 1 Thank You® Point per $1 spent on other purchases
- Travel & Emergency Assistance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection and Trip Delay Protection
- If you have an eligible banking relationship, you will continue to receive your Relationship Bonus.
Also, it appears that although Citi is not advertising these “old” benefits, new cardmembers do get all of the old benefits
So which is the worst Citi Prestige card benefits change?
All of those Citi Prestige benefits changes are negative, but which ones impacts you the most?