Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
I’ve often said that one of the best ways to get a decent number of points is by signing up for new credit cards. It’s just too hard to get any appreciable number of points by earning them through everyday spending, unless you have a LOT of spending. While I do say that you should not sign up for a credit card just because some guy on the Internet says you should, one of the ways that our family has been able to travel so much is by signing up for new credit cards every couple of months. You can find the link for the Hilton Honors American Express card on our top credit card offers page, and applying for it through that link may support the site – thanks in advance if you use these links when you apply for a new credit card.
Hilton Honors American Express Card (with no annual fee)
There is currently an increased offer for the no-fee Hilton Honors American Express card. The terms of the offer say that this increased offer might expire on July 6 (Wednesday). Here is what you get with the card
- 100,000 Hilton Honors points after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months of having the card
- $100 in statement credits at Hilton hotels for purchases in the first 12 months
- You’ll earn 7X Hilton Honors points for spending at Hilton Hotels
- 5x Hilton Honors points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets, and at U.S. gas stations
- 3x Hilton Honors points on all other purchases
- Complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status
- No annual fee
You’re only eligible for the bonus on this card if you have never had this card. American Express also will consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
Best Ways to use Hilton Points
The best way to use Hilton points is for stays at Hilton hotels. Hilton no longer has a set award chart, which makes it difficult to get any kind of outsized value. Still, you should be able to get at least 3 or 4 nights free with 100,000 Hilton points. And remember that the 5th night is free on Hilton Honors redemptions. Remember that because Hilton doesn’t have an award chart, the number of points you’ll need varies up and down over time. So, just like keeping an eye on Southwest flights for price drops, you should carefully monitor your Hilton reservations and rebook if the cost goes down.
I had a great stay at the Hilton Beijing (with an amazing indoor swimming pool) and have also had good stays at several Homewood Suites hotels (for free hotel dinner!), including at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Orlando International Drive.
Other hotel credit card alternatives
If the Hilton Honors American Express card isn’t right for you, there are a couple of other options for hotel points
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless – 5 free nights (up to 50,000 points) after spending $5,000 on purchases in your first 3 months (read our review)
- IHG Premier Credit Card – 140,000 hotel points after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, plus a free night each year on your anniversary and the 4th night free when redeeming on an award stay (read our review)
- Chase Sapphire Preferred – 60,000 Ultimate Rewards points after spending $4000 in the first 3 months – worth at least $1000 in travel (read our review)
Again, you can find these cards on our top credit card offers page
The Bottom Line
If you’re looking for a bunch of Hilton points for an upcoming stay, the Hilton Honors American Express Card can be a great option. You’ll get 100,000 Hilton Honors points plus up to $100 in statement credits for purchases at Hilton hotels in the first year of having the card. While Hilton Honors points are not as valuable as some other points, you can still get good value from the card, especially considering there is no annual fee.
Apply for the Hilton Honors American Express Card on our top credit card offers page
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them