Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Alaska Airlines miles are regularly considered some of the highest value in the travel industry due to their unique partnerships and award chart sweet spots. Recently Alaska announced their highest bonus of the year, a tiered promotion offering up to 50% bonus miles when purchasing. Depending on your needs, this can be an awesome deal.
(SEE ALSO: 10 sweet spots for using miles to fly economy)
This promo is going on now through December 23rd, 2019. Click here to navigate to the purchase page. If you have no status, you can acquire up to 150,000 bonus miles per year, though this limit is waived if you have MVP, MVP Gold, or MVP Gold 75k status. This bonus is a tiered bonus
- Buy 10,000 – 19,000 miles, get a 20% bonus
- Buy 20,000 – 39,000 miles, get a 35% bonus
- Buy 40,000 – 60,000 miles, get a 50% bonus
Purchases are processed through Points.com, which means that you’ll want to buy these with a card that maximizes everyday spend, like the Citi Double Cash.
Normally, each 1,000 Alaska miles would cost $29.56 with tax included; that is 2.9 cents per mile! Nobody values Alaska miles at more than 2 cents per mile, so at the normal rate, it doesn’t make sense to buy. Buying at least 40,000 miles with this promotion nets you an additional 50% in bonus points, which with tax brings the cost of a point down to 1.97 cents per mile. It’s not hard to find more value than that out of Alaska miles.
Terms and Conditions
- Transactions must be completed between 6:00 AM PST November 14, 2019 and 11:59 PM PST December 23, 2019 to be eligible for bonus miles.
- Miles are purchased from Points.com Inc. A 7.5% Federal Excise Tax*, and GST/HST for Canadian residents will be applied.
- Miles are non-refundable and do not count toward MVP and MVP/Gold status.
- You may purchase and gift Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles in increments of 1,000 miles to a maximum of 60,000 miles per transaction.
- Your Mileage Plan account may be credited up to a maximum total of 150,000 miles acquired through Points.com in a calendar year, whether purchased by you or gifted to you.
- MVP, MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K Mileage Plan member accounts have no annual limit on the number of miles which may be purchased or gifted through Points.com.
- Offer is subject to change and all terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan Program apply.
- *Points.com Inc. is collecting Federal Excise Tax on behalf of Alaska Airlines Inc.
- Alaska Airlines Inc. has the obligation to collect Federal Excise Tax and remit the tax to the appropriate government agency.
Again, here is the link to buy Alaska miles with a 50% bonus.
Even though we never recommend speculatively purchasing miles, I’m sorely tempted by this. Are any of you going to take advantage?
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them