Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Below are details of the Marriott 30% discount on buying points promotion, which runs through December 22nd:
- Transactions must be completed between 9:00 AM ET November 15, 2019 and 11:59 PM ET December 22, 2019 to be eligible for the discount of 30% with a minimum purchase of 2,000 points.
- Purchased points do not count towards Marriott Bonvoy Elite status.
- A member may purchase or receive as a gift from another member a combined maximum of 100,000 points during the promotional period only. Points that have been already purchased or received as a gift in 2019 are included in the 100,000 points limit.
- Points may be purchased in increments of 1,000.
- I may receive a commission if you purchase points through my link
Normally, Marriott points cost $12.50 to purchase 1,000 points (tax included), for a purchase price of 1.25 cent per point. That might seem cheap, but remember, Marriott points are only worth about 0.7 – 0.8 cents each, so at the normal rate, you’re paying a premium on the value. At the normal rate, it doesn’t make sense to buy Marriott Bonvoy points.
What about with the 30% off sale? This time the bonus is tiered –
- Buy fewer than 2,000 points – no bonus
- Buy 2,000 – 50,000 points – get 30% off
If you buy the full 50,000 points, it will cost you $437.50 with the 30% discount, which brings the purchase price to 0.875 cents per point, which is closer to the normal redemption value, but still slightly higher.
While I’m generally against buying points speculatively, if you need some points for your next redemption, it could be worth topping up your account.
If you do that, I recommend buying at least 2,000 points so you get a discount. You can find the link to this promotion here
Generally if you’re looking to get a lot of points in a (relatively) short period of time, it’s better / cheaper to sign up for a new Marriott credit card, if you’re eligible. There are a total of three new products available:
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Visa – 75,000 points after making $3000 in purchases within the first 3 months; $95 annual fee
- American Express Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant (not an affiliate link) – 75,000 points after making $3000 in purchases within the first 3 months; $450 annual fee
- American Express Marriott Bonvoy Business – 75,000 points after making $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months ($125 annual fee, waived 1st year)
Will you buy Marriott points with 30% off? Or will you wait for a better offer to come back?
Note: the affiliate links in this post support the blog and our bloggers. If you do use one of our links, thank you!
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them