Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Southwest Airlines is making it easier to avoid the expiration of travel funds. Now through December 15, 2020, they are allowing travelers to turn qualifying travel funds into Rapid Rewards points.
What are the Details?
To qualify for this offer there are a few parameters listed below.
- The funds must expire by September 7, 2022.
- The name must match the name on your Rapid Rewards account.
- The funds must have originated from a ticket purchased on Southwest.com, booked by a Southwest Customer Representative, or for business ticket purchases, be approved by your employer.
- Travel fund conversions must be requested by December 15, 2020.
- Conversions are final.
- The funds are converting at a rate of 1.28 cents= 1 Rapid Rewards point.
- Rapid Rewards points (as always) cannot be used to pay taxes or fees.
- You do need to be a Rapid Rewards member, but you can sign up online in a few minutes if you are not already a member.
What are the Benefits?
There are a few reasons that it makes sense to take advantage of this offer. First, Rapid Rewards points do not expire so you are moving to a currency with a longer shelf life. Secondly, you can redeem your points for travel for anyone whereas travel funds have more restrictions. There are also some interesting strategies to maximize this opportunity if you want to take advantage of this offer.
What Do You Need to Do?
To convert your Southwest travel funds to Rapid Rewards points you need to go to this link. Then follow the prompts and redeem your travel funds. It may take up to 72 hours for your Rapid Rewards account to be credited but typically it is quicker. If you have questions on the process, Southwest has an FAQ page to review.
Are you planning to take advantage of this offer? Let us know in the comments below!
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them