Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
United is on the offensive. Or so it would seem, based on Scott Kirby’s recent comments at an employee town hall:
In Chicago, we have massive advantages…If people want to talk about our long-term plan for Chicago, it’s to grow it incredibly, and I hope to someday take over those gates that currently have the AA on them. We have the winning hand here. We should win in Chicago.
Per that same Skift.com article above, today, United operates roughly 30 more flights per day that American. Well, come this summer, United is widening the gap, with 11 new flights per day across six routes. This announcement also added routes to four other United hubs: Denver, Newark, Houston, and San Francisco.
Here are the details, with routes starting this summer:
- Chicago O’Hare to Champaign, IL – 3x daily Embraer ERJ145
- Chicago O’Hare to Charlottesville, VA – 1x daily CRJ200
- Chicago O’Hare to Columbia, MO – 2x daily CRJ200
- Chicago O’Hare to Reno, NV – 1x daily A319 (seasonal)
- Chicago O’Hare to Rochester, MN – 3x daily Embraer ERJ145
- Chicago O’Hare to Spokane, WA – 1x daily A320
- Denver, CO to Columbia, MO – 1x daily CRJ200
- Denver, CO to San Luis Obispo, CA – 1x daily Embraer E-175
- Houston, TX to Springfield, MO – 2x daily Embraer ERJ145
- Newark, NJ to Sacramento, CA – 1x daily A319
- San Francisco, CA to Hartford, CT – 1x daily A319
- San Francisco, CA to Santa Rosa, CA – 3x daily CRJ200
- San Francisco, CA to Spokane, WA – 2x daily Embraer E-175
- San Francisco, CA to Detroit, MI – 1x daily A319
It looks like United is aggressively trying to retain control of Chicago O’Hare, and adding these routes will only assert their dominance. They may not be “sexy” additions, but for business travelers, the more destinations, the better!
Will you be booking one of these new United routes this summer?