Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
It’s the end of an era for Toys R Us. It was reported a week ago that Toys R Us had begun the process of going out of business. If you’re planning to take advantage of the deals over at Toys R Us, here’s what you need to know being a points and miles earner:
Top 3 things to remember
- Use your points-earning credit cards, preferably the ones with purchase protection and extended warranty. Since all sales are final, should anything happen, you could reach out to your credit card provider to process your claim.
- If you have gift cards with Toys R Us, use them now. The gift cards will expire in 30 days (from March 15). I highly suggest using your gift cards sooner than that date. According to Business Insider:
- Toys R Us said its gift cards will expire in 30 days as the company prepares to close or sell all its US stores.
- The toy chain’s loyalty-based “rewards dollars” and “endless earnings” will also expire in 30 days
- If you plan on reselling those gift cards, you might have difficulty reselling them due to Toys R Us current situation.
7 more things to keep in mind
- Liquidation sales reported to start on March 23, 2018. I called my local Toys R Us and the recording indicated the March 23rd date. It’s a good idea to double check.
- The liquidation sale will be across over 700 Toys R Us retail stores.
- No online deals yet -Toys R Us did mention that they are looking for an e-commerce operations buyer, so we might not see deals online just yet
- Don’t expect big bargains yet – as with many liquidation sales I’ve seen in my life, lower discounts are typically seen on the first few days or weeks. Meaning, it could be as low as 20% off-30% off initially. The discounts could go higher as the weeks go on.
- Store fixtures/furniture could also be included, so keep an eye on anything that might suit your needs for your own business or even at home.
- Do your own price comparison – since liquidation sales are discounted off of the full list price, they may not be a deal to grab right away so make sure you do your research, scan the barcode, or check for the same item and look them up on Amazon, or Walmart.
- The hottest items will go first. As much as the deeper discounts could be had in the upcoming weeks, the chance for the hot items to stay are slim, so you need to weigh your options.
Will you be going your nearest Toys R Us soon? Please leave us a comment and let us know what deals you’re seeing. Good luck.
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them