Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
I got two emails the other day offering bonus miles for changing your energy provider to Energy Plus. There is one deal for
We’ve had some similar offers previously –
- 12,500 American AAdvantage miles
- 10,000 American AAdvantage miles
- 10,000 Southwest Rapid Rewards points to switch energy provider
Energy Plus is apparently only active in the following states: Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.
Amtrak and Southwest Energy Plus Offer details
The 2 offers are essentially the same as far as I can tell (other than which bonus points you’ll get). You can sign up for either offer online, or if you call in (866-964-5672), the offer codes are:
- Amtrak – ATK-7164-099
- Southwest – SWA-6748-047
Amtrak Energy Plus fine print
- Receive 15,000 points after two months of active service as an Energy Plus customer
- Earn 2 points for every $1 you spend on the supply portion of your bill
- Peace of mind—you’ll experience no service interruption, cancellation fees or long-term commitment
Southwest Energy Plus fine print
- Bigtime bonus points – Earn 10,000 bonus points after completing two months of active service as an Energy Plus customer, or 12,500 bonus points if you’re a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Cardmember*.
- More monthly points – Earn 2 points for every $1 you spend on the supply portion of your electric bill each month, or 3 points for every $1 you spend if you’re a Rapid Rewards Cardmember*.
Of course… there is a catch
I have switched my electric and gas providers around every couple of months for a couple of years now, and I definitely think that it is not for the faint of heart. You REALLY need to be on top of things. Note in the “features” above the part where it talks about the “flexible month-to-month plan”. This is code for “the time where Energy Plus screws you over”. When “your ongoing electric supply price will be variable and can change each month“, that is not a good thing for you.
I usually sign up for 3-6 month fixed rates, taking whichever company offers the lowest price and/or best promotion. Then I set myself a reminder to make sure and update my account when the time frame is up. A month or two on the “variable” plan will quickly eat up any savings you have.
I am currently not eligible because I am ALREADY an Energy Plus customer (having swapped to get the AAdvantage miles a few months ago), but plan to swap off of it once my promotional rate has expired
What about you? Have you ever swapped your gas or electric providers for a promotion? What was your experience like? Is this an intriguing offer? Let us know in the comments.
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them