Planning a trip to Japan for the upcoming cherry blossom season but slightly short on miles? For 4 days only, you can buy United miles with up to 67% bonus or gift United miles at 40% discount. This promotion however is not nearly as good as the one United did in January, when they offer up to 75% bonus.
Buy miles and get up to 60,000 bonus miles
Receive a bonus when you buy United miles for yourself:
- Buy 5,000 – 14,000 miles, receive 20% bonus up to 2,800 bonus miles
- Buy 15,000 – 29,000 miles, receive 40$ bonus up to 11,600 bonus miles
- Buy 30,000 – 90,000 miles, receive 67% bonus up to 60,000 bonus miles
Gift 2,000 miles or more and get up to 40% discount
You need to log in to see the discount.
Key terms of the offers include:
- Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. CT on February 9, 2017.
- Miles are available in increments of 1,000 up to a maximum of 90,000 miles.
- Bonuses will be calculated on a per transaction basis only.
- Bonus miles count towards the 150,000 mile annual limit per account.
- You can purchase up to 150,000 miles per account per calendar year.
- Purchase is non-refundable.
- Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier® status.
- Transaction is processed by Points,com.
Cost comparison of buying miles vs gifting miles
Out of curiosity, I compared the cost of buying miles versus gifting miles. In the example I picked below, they came out the same:
- Buy 30,000 miles and receive 20,100 bonus miles for a total cost of $1,128,75
- Gift 50,000 miles at 40% discount, the total cost would also be $1,128.75.
Cost is exactly the same, but buying miles gets you 100 additional miles versus if someone gifts you the miles.
Join the PWaC newsletter filled with credit card and travel tips
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Some or all of the card offers that appear on the website are from advertisers and that compensation may impact on how and where card products appear on the site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners and I do not include all card companies, or all available card offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers and other offers and benefits listed on this page. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them