While Dan might have a love/hate relationship with Amtrak, living in NYC, I have a love/love relationship. For the most part, I can get anywhere in the Northeast Corridor quickly, inexpensively, and with minimal hassle. With family in New Hampshire and Maine, taking Amtrak NYC to Boston is the easiest way to get home, even if it’s just for a long weekend.
This fare sale is unique in that it is only available on Amtrak’s Long Distance Trains, which are: Auto Train, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Lake Shore Limited, Palmetto, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle. Here are some example fares:
Comparing against other Amtrak service
I thought a good test of this sale might be the Lake Shore Limited, as it runs along the same track as the Empire Service (not to be confused with the Empire Builder…). For a random day in October, here’s 2 of the 4 trains between New York and Utica, NY:
As you can see, the Lake Shore Limited will save you $19 over the Empire Service, a savings of ~29%.
Terms & Conditions
- This offer is exclusively available at www.Amtrak.com.
- This offer is valid for sale June 5 – 7, 2018 and valid for travel July 9 – November 16, 2018 for our Long Distance trains which include the Auto Train, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Lake Shore Limited, Palmetto, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle.
- This offer is valid for discounted one-way Coach rail fares based on the regular (full) adult rail fare.
- This offer is for Coach seats only; no accommodation upgrades permitted. Seating is limited; seats may not be available on all trains at all times.
- Fares are subject to availability.
- One child age 2 – 12 may accompany each adult at half the regular adult fare.
- Once purchased, tickets are non-refundable; exchanges are permitted within the ticket validity period, a 25 percent cancellation fee applies.
- This offer is not valid for onboard ticket purchase.
- In addition to the discount restrictions, this offer is also subject to any restrictions, blackouts, cancellation and refund rules that apply to the type of fare purchased. This offer is not combinable with any other discount offer. Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice. Once travel has begun, no changes to the itinerary are permitted. Other restrictions may apply.
It’s nice to see the fare sales being extended outside of the Northeast Corridor. Let us know if you’ll be taking advantage of this sale!
Join the PWaC newsletter filled with credit card and travel tips
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Some or all of the card offers that appear on the website are from advertisers and that compensation may impact on how and where card products appear on the site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners and I do not include all card companies, or all available card offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers and other offers and benefits listed on this page. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them