Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
(1/25 – Reposting as the last day to buy United miles with a 90% bonus is Friday January 27th)
United runs a huge operation out of Newark, and I’m always price checking their flights against those at LaGuardia and JFK, because honestly, it’s not THAT hard to get to, especially when you take the train.
United’s newest MileagePlus promotion is offering up to a 90% bonus when you purchase miles.
Let’s take a look at what that means in terms of purchase cost.
This is a flash sale and only good for now through January 27, 2023 and you can access the promotion here.
The bonus is a tiered bonus
- Buy 5,000 – 14,000 miles | Get 30% bonus
- Buy 20,000 – 39,000 miles | Get 60% bonus
- Buy 40,000 – 92,000 miles | Get 90% bonus
In order to get the maximum number of bonus miles, you’d need to purchase at least 40,000 United miles at minimum and get 36,000 bonus miles, netting you 76,000 miles for $1,400. That’s like spending 1.84 cents per mile, which is an okay deal, but not one I’d do in most scenarios. Unless I needed to top off my account, I would not speculatively buy points at this level. As a reminder, United lets you buy 175,000 miles a year (inclusive of bonus points), so be careful with this promotion if you’ve already purchased points this year.
As a point of information, the highest bonus I’ve ever seen for purchasing United miles is a 100% bonus, so this is about as good as it gets
Full Buying United Miles Terms and Conditions
Here are the full terms and conditions:
- Promotional offer valid between 8:00 a.m. CT on January 5, 2023, and 11:59 p.m. CT on January 27, 2023.
- Promotional offer not applicable to past transactions.
- Bonus miles count toward the 175,000-mile annual limit per account.
- You may purchase up to 175,000 miles per account per calendar year.
- Miles will generally be credited to the recipient’s MileagePlus account when the transaction is complete; provided that certain transactions may take up to 72 hours.
- Buying miles counts as a United® purchase when made with your United MileagePlus card. You’ll get the miles you buy, plus miles for every $1 spent.
The Bottom Line
My recommendation would be to avoid this opportunity unless you need to top up your balance in order to make a redemption.
If you do need to get those few extra points, it makes sense to buy at least 5,000 points, as that’s when the bonus point earning kicks in. If you do plan to take advantage of this offer, the link can be found here.
Note: the above affiliate links support this blog and our bloggers. If you choose to use these links, thank you!
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them