(11/19 – Reposting as the last day to buy United miles with a 100% bonus is Monday, November 20th)
United’s newest MileagePlus promotion is offering up to a 100% bonus when you purchase miles, through November 20th. United runs a huge operation out of Newark, and I’m always price checking their flights against those at LaGuardia and JFK, because honestly, it’s not THAT hard to get to, especially when you take the train.
Let’s take a look at what this bonus means in terms of purchase cost.
This is a flash sale and only good for now through November 20th, 2023 and you can access the promotion here.
The bonus is targeted, and different people will see different bonuses. You’ll have to log on to your account to see what bonus you’re targeted for.
The bonus I saw was tiered:
- Buy 0 – 6,000 miles – no bonus
- Buy 7,000 – 19,000 miles – 50% bonus
- Buy 20,000 – 44,000 miles – 75% bonus
- Buy 45,000 – 87,500 miles – 100% bonus
In order to get the maximum number of bonus miles, you’d need to purchase at least 45,000 United miles at minimum and get 45,000 bonus miles, netting you 90,000 miles for $1,575. That’s like spending 1.75 cents per mile, which is an okay deal, but not one I’d do in most scenarios. Unless I needed to top off my account, I would not speculatively buy points at this level. As a reminder, United lets you buy 225,000 miles a year (inclusive of bonus points), so be careful with this promotion if you’ve already purchased points this year.
As a point of information, the highest bonus I’ve ever seen for purchasing United miles is a 100% bonus, so this is about as good as it gets
Full Buying United Miles Terms and Conditions
Here are the full terms and conditions:
- Promotional offer valid between 8:00 a.m. CT on November 3, 2023, and 11:59 p.m. CT on November 20, 2023.
- Promotional offer not applicable to past transactions.
- Bonus miles count toward the 175,000-mile annual limit per account.
- You may purchase up to 175,000 miles per account per calendar year.
- Miles will generally be credited to the recipient’s MileagePlus account when the transaction is complete; provided that certain transactions may take up to 72 hours.
- Buying miles counts as a United® purchase when made with your United MileagePlus card. You’ll get the miles you buy, plus miles for every $1 spent.
The Bottom Line
My recommendation would be to avoid this opportunity unless you need to top up your balance in order to make a redemption.
If you do need to get those few extra points, it makes sense to buy at least 5,000 points, as that’s when the bonus point earning kicks in. If you do plan to take advantage of this offer, the link can be found here.
Note: the above affiliate links support this blog and our bloggers. If you choose to use these links, thank you!
Join the PWaC newsletter filled with credit card and travel tips
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Some or all of the card offers that appear on the website are from advertisers and that compensation may impact on how and where card products appear on the site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners and I do not include all card companies, or all available card offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers and other offers and benefits listed on this page. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them