A somewhat rare premium economy (PE) sale to Shanghai is being offered for spring and summer travel to Shanghai, China. Delta is offering the discount, and what’s even better: Comfort+ is on sale as well with direct flights included. A very good way to see The Great Wall, the Forbidden City, and more!
The lowest prices are available from Los Angeles for spring travel in March, April and May. Compared to main cabin economy, these are acceptable upgrade prices for 13+ hours each way in the air. These are for economy nonstops or flights with a short stopover.
- Premium economy: $747 (economy + $250)
- Comfort+: $535 (economy + $38)
- Economy: $497
Seattle and San Francisco also have spring Comfort+ deals, though no PE discounts.
- San Francisco: $632 economy, $710 Comfort+
- Seattle: $497 Hainan economy, $527 Delta economy, $609 Comfort+
Though prices are higher in summer, the deals from Los Angeles might be better than the spring discount. These are available on select dates in July and August. PE includes a longer stopover in Tokyo.
- Premium economy: $980 (economy + $209)
- Comfort+: $809 (economy + $38)
- Economy: $771
Seattle also shows a low upgrade price for premium economy. Given the $162 price difference, it’s probably worth it to buy PE instead of Comfort+.
- Premium economy: $1085 (economy + $300)
- Comfort+: $923 (economy + $138)
- Economy: Delta $785, Hainan $760
This is a great deal for a comfortable flight, as Delta’s “Premium Select” offers:
- 18.5″ or 19″ seat width, depending on the airplane
- 38″ pitch
- 7″ more recline than economy
- Larger IFE screens
- Plated meals
- Dedicated cabin flight staff
Even if you don’t book the upgrades, the main cabin fares are good, as they include seat selection and 2 checked bags. So if you’d like to see Shanghai as the weather turns warmer, now’s the time to book a flight.
How to Book
- Visit Google Flights to search for sample dates and destinations, as best prices are with Delta directly.
- March – early May, select June and August dates
- 6-day stay required
Things to Do in Shanghai
- Mutianyu Great Wall – (SEE ALSO: Video review of the Mutianyu Great Wall Toboggan Review)
- Forbidden City
- Temple of Heaven
- Summer Palace (me pictured above from our trip to Beijing)
- Lana Temple
(SEE ALSO: How to visit the 7 Beijing UNESCO sites)
Join the PWaC newsletter filled with credit card and travel tips
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Some or all of the card offers that appear on the website are from advertisers and that compensation may impact on how and where card products appear on the site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners and I do not include all card companies, or all available card offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers and other offers and benefits listed on this page. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them