Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
The various Southwest cards typically go between 40,000 and 60,000 points as a welcome offer every couple of months. Since these cards fall under Chase 5/24, it typically makes sense to wait and apply for the cards when they’re at their all-time high. This Southwest 75,000 credit card offer is about as high as they tend to go.
If you’ve been waiting for the cards to go up to an all-time high Southwest 75,000 mile offer, you’re in luck – now’s the time!
75,000 Southwest Rapid Rewards bonus
These 3 Southwest credit cards are at all time high signup bonuses – 75,000 Rapid Rewards points each. Obviously, if you were able to get two of them and meet the spending bonus, 75,000 +750,000 = 150,000 or more than enough to earn the Southwest Companion Pass, even with the higher threshold to earn the Companion Pass. Southwest has gone back and forth on these card offers, sometimes it’s a flat spending amount required, and other times it’s tiered. This time, each of the personal card offers are a flat bonus, as follows:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card: 75,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months; $69 annual fee
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card: 75,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months; $99 annual fee
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card: 75,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months; $149 annual fee
These cards are available in the Airline Cards section of my top credit card offers page
Additionally Southwest has 2 business cards with fairly high welcome offers
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card: 60,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months; $99 annual fee
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance Business Credit Card: 80,000 points after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months; $199 annual fee
Southwest Companion Pass
One of the reasons to consider these Southwest 75,000 Rapid Rewards point offers (or their corresponding business cards) is to get the Southwest Companion Pass, which requires 125,000 Rapid Rewards points earned in one calendar year. You’re unlikely to get approved for 2 Southwest personal cards in a short time, though it’s more possible to get 1 personal card and 1 business card (still, I’d space the applications out by a few months at least)
A few years ago we asked Why Now is the Best Time to Start Working Towards the Southwest Companion Pass and a lot of that same logic applies. If you earn the Companion Pass early in 2022, you’ll have it for the entirety of this year AND all of 2023.
What is the Southwest Companion Pass?
From my original article about What is the Southwest Companion Pass (and how to get it), here are a few basics of what the Southwest Companion Pass is
- You earn the Southwest Companion Pass by earning at least 125,000 Rapid Rewards points in one calendar year
- Flying and points on the Southwest credit cards (see below) count
- Points transferred from Chase do not count (nor do points transferred from hotels)
- Here’s a link on how to change your Southwest Companion Pass companion
- And one on how to check your Companion Pass status
- Once you earn it, then your companion flies FREE on any Southwest flight that you fly on, be that booked with cash or with points. You only need to have one seat available for your companion (not just Wanna Get Away fares)
So you can see that, all things being equal, it behooves you to get the Southwest Companion Pass as early in the year as possible, since you get it for the entire calendar year you earn it AND the next one too. So earning the pass in Dec 2022 would get it through the end of 2023, whereas earning the pass in Jan 2023 would get it through the end of 2024! Of course there is no guarantee that earning the Southwest Companion Pass will work the same in 2023 (they’ve changed the rules on us before!)
Another thing to note is that the Companion Pass is most useful for couples with no kids (since it’s essentially a Buy 1 Get 1 Free ticket). I’ve also heard of families of 4 that get TWO companion passes and then mom and dad each choose one of the kids as a companion. For my family of 8, a Buy 7 get 1 Free pass is not nearly as lucrative. And of course, living near an airport with lots of Southwest availability makes the Companion Pass more lucrative
Are you planning something like the above to get the Southwest Companion Pass in 2022? Thanks in advance if you use the links on our top credit card offers page (I may receive a commission)
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them