American Airlines is running a promotion where they are offering 25 miles for every dollar donated to Stand Up 2 Cancer (SU2C)
This was announced yesterday on “Giving Tuesday” but runs for a couple of weeks
Fine Print and Terms
Here’s the fine print of the offer
- Make a donation of $25 or more to Stand Up To Cancer through our Miles To Stand Up program and you’ll get 25 AAdvantage® miles for every dollar you donate.
- Plus, if you use a Mastercard® to make your donation, Mastercard® will match it – up to a grand total of $1,000,000.* Mastercard® matching donation ends December 12, 2017 or when aggregate maximum donation amount of $1,000,000 is reached, whichever occurs first.
- Donations must be made online at SU2C.org/americanairlines.
- Minimum $25 donation required.
- Mileage cap for a 12-month period is 600,000.
- Bonus miles do not count toward elite-status qualification.
- Please allow up to eight weeks for the bonus miles to be posted to your account.
- Donations can only be accepted in U.S. dollars.
- Donations made in connection with AAdvantage® bonus miles program are not refundable.
- For charitable deduction purposes, each mile is valued at 3 cents per mile.
- The receipt of miles may reduce the tax deductibility of your contribution
Should you do it?
Well obviously that depends on you. I wouldn’t recommend donating miles as any type of manufactured spending, since you’re essentially “paying” 4 cents per mile. But if you had plans to donate to this or another charity, it’s a decent way to get some miles for it. As mentioned in the fine print, you’ll want to check with your accountant as to whether getting miles for your donation affects the tax deductibility of your donation.
Donate at http://su2c.org/americanairlines through December 12th (I get no commission if you donate)
Join the PWaC newsletter filled with credit card and travel tips
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Some or all of the card offers that appear on the website are from advertisers and that compensation may impact on how and where card products appear on the site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners and I do not include all card companies, or all available card offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers and other offers and benefits listed on this page. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them