Southwest is offering a $49 fare sale through Friday, March 19. Southwest has been offering frequent sale fares as more people have started to consider traveling again. Cancellation policies for most airlines have become more flexible over the past year. Luckily, with Rapid Rewards points, Southwest flights are always cancellable.
Deals are available through its website and are advertised as low as $49 each way. Given the flexibility that Southwest offers from a cancellation perspective, it doesn’t hurt to book a trip to take advantage of the low prices. If your plans change, it will be easy to cancel.
If you don’t have Southwest points, you can still bank a travel credit for a future trip. As a reminder, if Southwest hosts a sale, make sure you check any existing flights you have already purchased. Southwest has no change fees, and if the sale price is lower, you will receive a credit for the difference usable for future Southwest fares. Also, if you change your mind after you buy one of these flights, remember that any fare marketed in the U.S. is free to cancel within 24 hours.
This sale ends March 19 at 11:59 PM Central Time, so you need to act fast!
Traveling on Southwest During Coronavirus
Southwest stepped up its COVID-19 response last year and has continued many of the protocols. The process was branded as the “Southwest Promise” and currently includes enhanced cleaning, electrostatic disinfectant spray, HEPA air filters and mandatory face coverings for flyers and employees and enhanced social distancing protocols. Bear in mind, the middle seat on all flights are now back open. For more details visit the dedicated landing page here.
How to Book
- Visit the Southwest website to search for sample dates and destinations. This sale does have some black-out dates, so check the valid travel dates below.
- Purchase by March 9, 2021, 11:59 PM Central Time.
- Continental U.S. travel valid March 30 through June 30, 2021.
- Continental U.S. to/from Hawaii travel valid March 30 through May 20, 2021.
- San Juan, Puerto Rico travel valid March 30 through June 30, 2021.
- International travel valid March 30 through June 30, 2021.
- Continental U.S. travel blacked out May 27-28 and May 31, 2021. Travel from continental U.S. to Hawaii blacked out April 1-3, 2021. Travel to continental U.S. from Hawaii blacked out April 2-5 and April 9-11, 2021.
- Except as otherwise specified, continental U.S. travel is valid only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Travel continental U.S. to/from Hawaii is valid Monday – Thursday. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico is valid Monday – Thursday. International travel is valid Monday – Thursday. Travel to Mexico is valid only on Sundays through Wednesdays. Travel from Mexico is valid only on Tuesdays through Fridays.
- 21-day advance purchase is required.
- Points bookings do not include government fees from $5.60 per one-way flight.
- Be sure to read all other terms and conditions on Southwest’s site.
Where you able to find a flight to book? Did you get a refund on a previously purchased Southwest flight? Let us know in the comments below!
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Some or all of the card offers that appear on the website are from advertisers and that compensation may impact on how and where card products appear on the site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners and I do not include all card companies, or all available card offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers and other offers and benefits listed on this page. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
User Generated Content Disclosure: Points With a Crew encourages constructive discussions, comments, and questions. Responses are not provided by or commissioned by any bank advertisers. These responses have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the responsibility of the bank advertiser to respond to comments.