Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
My wife and daughter recently went to Salt Lake City for a mother daughter weekend. Since they didn’t have a car with them and were reliant on walking and public transportation, they limited their activities to fun things to do in Downtown Salt Lake City. Here are a few of the fun things to do in Downtown Salt Lake City that they did on their weekend there. The Salt Lake City visitors bureau did provide them with 2 Salt Lake Connect Passes (see below).
Where to stay in Downtown Salt Lake City
There are many different hotels and [airbnb] options throughout Downtown Salt Lake City. We ended up staying at the Marriott Residence Inn Salt Lake City Downtown, which was a perfect place for us. We had a 1 bedroom suite with a full kitchen.
You can read my full Residence Inn Salt Lake City Downtown review here
You may also be interested in my guide to the best way to get from the Salt Lake City airport to downtown Salt Lake
Keep in mind that the TRAX (public transit / light rail) has a free zone in downtown Salt Lake City if you are entering AND exiting stops that are both within the free fare zone
The Visit Salt Lake Connect Pass
Depending on how long you’re planning on staying in the Salt Lake City area, you may be interested in the Visit Salt Lake Connect Pass. The Visit Salt Lake Connect Passes offers 15 things to do at 13 different attractions. You get free admission to attractions throughout the Salt Lake Valley from Downtown (Clark Planetarium, Natural History Museum of Utah, Red Butte Garden, Utah’s Hogle Zoo, This is The Place Heritage Park, Utah Museum of Fine Arts. It costs $32 for an adult for a 1 day pass, $48 for 2 days or $60 for 3 days. Seniors and children (ages 3-12) get a slight discount.
Great things to do in Downtown Salt Lake City
Here are a few of the things to do in Downtown Salt Lake that we did while we were there
- Tour Temple Square – Temple Square itself is free and there is a Visitor’s Center there with extensive information about the Mormon pioneers, Salt Lake City and Temple Square itself. The Salt Lake Temple itself is open only to practicing members of the Mormon faith
- On Temple Square, the LDS FamilySearch center will let you trace your family history / genealogy for free
- Clark Planetarium is free for admission to everyone, but you get access to some of the 3D / IMAX shows with the Visit Salt Lake Pass
- Right on Temple Square is the Lion House restaurant. Famous for its rolls, the Lion House was built in 1856 and was the home of Brigham Young. You get lunch or dinner for 2 with the Visit Salt Lake pass.
- Pioneer Park is a good place to hang out and relax – it was the original fort and settlement of the Mormon Pioneers when they first settled the Salt Lake Valley in 1847.
- City Creek Center is an outdoor mall that takes up a few city blocks right in the middle of Downtown Salt Lake and is a good place to hang out, shop or people watch
- Tracy Aviary is worth a stop for outdoor or animal enthusiasts
What are your favorite things to do in Downtown Salt Lake City?
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them