Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
There are a number of quarter cashback cards (as I like to call them) in the market. You’re probably most familiar with the Chase Freedom and Discover it, but all of these cards have cashback earning that resets each quarter. Sometimes you can pick your categories, and sometimes the bank picks for you! Here are your options for April, May, and June 2020.
Don’t forget to activate them!
Bank of America Cash Rewards
With the BoA Cash Rewards card, you can earn $2,500 each quarter in one of the categories below. But, you can pick a new category once per month. So if you wanted to earn 5% in online shopping for April, then switch to Home Improvement in May, and then Travel in June, it’s easy!
- Drug Stores
- Gas (if you don’t select anything when you get the card, it will default to )
- Home Improvement/Furnishings
- Online Shopping (check out Flyertalk for data on what counts)
Chase Freedom 2nd Quarter 5% Cashback
Chase Freedom cardholders can earn up to $75 cashback on the following categories this quarter (up to $1,500 in spend). You’re really earning Ultimate Rewards here, so if you have another UR card, you’ll get to take advantage of the great list of Chase travel partners and the UR portal in addition to the normal cashback options.
- Grocery Stores – Most grocery stores should work for this category. The notable exceptions are superstores (like Walmart and Target) and Wholesale Clubs (like BJ’s and Costco). Even though you buy groceries at these stores, they don’t fall under the same merchant category code.
- Fitness Clubs and Gym Memberships – 5% cashback at your favorite gym! Feel free to call Chase if for some reason your gym isn’t working, they may be able to help. This should include weightlifting, martial arts, cycling, and others according to Chase’s list here.
- Streaming Services – Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Vudu, Fubo TV, Apple Music, SiriusXM, Pandora, Spotify, YouTube, ESPN+, and Google Play.
Citi Dividend 2nd Quarter 5% Cashback
Pretty straightforward here. What’s interesting about the Dividend, is that the category cashback isn’t limited to the quarter. You can earn $75 in cashback annually, regardless of when you spend with the card. Shop on Amazon a lot? Go crazy this month!
Discover it 2nd Quarter 5% Cashback
Readers can earn up to $75 quarterly on their Discover it card (on up to $1,500 spend, just like the Chase Freedom). You can cash out your Discover cashback for statement credits, discounted gift cards, or deposit into your checking account.
- Gas Stations – This may not work on gas stations connected to grocery stores or others. In my area, we have Stop & Shop gas, which often codes as groceries on my credit card.
- Uber & Lyft
- Wholesale Clubs – BJ’s, Sam’s Club, Costco, etc.
US Bank 2nd Quarter 5% Cashback
Each quarter, you can pick two categories to earn 5% back on, up to $2,000 in purchases ($100 in cashback). The options don’t change very often, for now you can pick two of the following:
- TV/Internet/Streaming Services
- Department Stores
- Gyms and Fitness Centers
- Fast Food
- Sporting Goods Stores
- Furniture Stores
- Cell Phone Providers
- Clothing Stores
- Movie Theatres
- Ground Transportation
Then, you can also choose a 2% category each quarter, no limit on the cashback you can earn:
- Gas Stations
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them