United (and other airlines) periodically offer discounts on some of their award travel. The current deal is on travel between the United States (or Canada) and Australia. You can get either a 20% or 25% discount, depending on your date of travel.
You can find the full details on the United promo details page, but the basic information is that:
- The discount is good only on roundtrip flights only
- You have to book your flight by January 28th, 2016
- You have to travel beginning on or after February 2, 2016, and completed on or before June 22, 2016.
- This discount is only good for travel in United economy class, and only if you can find Saver (low-level) availability (Standard awards are not discounted and neither are partner awards)
- You CAN open jaw with this promotion (so fly in to Sydney, return from Melbourne as an example)
- You get a different discount depending on what day of the week you travel
|Discount||Days of travel||Regular price||Reduced price*|
|25% off||Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu||60,000 miles|
|20% off||Fri, Sat||64,000 miles|
Full price for a roundtrip flight between the US or Canada and Australia is 80,000 miles
I did verify that if you fly outbound on a Tuesday and return on a Saturday, it does correctly give you the 20% discount one-way and the 25% discount the other way.
It’s too bad this sale is only for travel through June, as otherwise this would be a huge mileage savings for my friends who are trying to travel to Australia next December!
Join the PWaC newsletter filled with credit card and travel tips
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Some or all of the card offers that appear on the website are from advertisers and that compensation may impact on how and where card products appear on the site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners and I do not include all card companies, or all available card offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers and other offers and benefits listed on this page. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them