Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Right now, JetBlue and Southwest are both offering sales on their airfare! It’s the perfect time to find a cheap flight somewhere warm (or hey, maybe for some winter skiiing!).
JetBlue Big Winter Sale
Here’s the fine print:
- Fares include government taxes and fees.
- Book by 1/4/19 (the earlier of 11:59 PM ET or local time).
- Travel between 1/16–4/10/19. Tue & Wed travel. Blackout dates: 2/19–2/20/19.
- Blue fare shown.
- Different or additional day of week restrictions, travel windows, and blackout dates may apply and vary by route. Click on a fare for details.
I actually just booked a return from Orlando to Boston for $79! My brother has plans to go visit some family in the Orlando area, and this sale worked out perfectly.
Southwest sale on January, February, and March Travel
The Southwest terms are (just a bit) longer:
- 21-day advance purchase required.
- Purchase from December 18, 2018, through January 4, 2019, 11:59 p.m. in the respective time zone of the originating city.
- Continental U.S. travel valid January 8 through May 22, 2019. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico valid January 14 through February 28, 2019, and April 23 through May 16, 2019.
- Domestic travel is not valid on Fridays and Sundays. Travel to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico is valid Monday – Thursday.
- Fares valid on domestic, nonstop service only. (I stopped reading about here…)
- Points bookings do not include taxes, fees, and other government/airport charges of at least $5.60 per one-way flight.
- Seats and days are limited. Fares may vary by destination, flight, and day of week and won’t be available on some flights that operate during very busy travel times and holiday periods.
- Travel is available for one-way Wanna Get Away® fares.
- Fares may be combined with other Southwest Airlines® combinable fares. If combining with other fares, the most restrictive fare’s rules apply.
- Sale fares may be available on other days of week, but that’s not guaranteed.
- Fares are nonrefundable but may be applied toward future travel on Southwest Airlines®, as long as reservations are canceled at least ten minutes prior to the scheduled departure. Failure to cancel prior to departure will result in forfeiture of remaining funds on the reservation.
- Any change in itinerary may result in an increase in fare. Standby travel may require an upgrade to the Anytime fare depending on Rapid Rewards® tier status.
- Fares are subject to change until ticketed.
- Offer applies only to published, scheduled service.
TL;DR – for the most part, you’re looking at weekday flights, for travel during January, February, and March. Be sure to book 21 days in advance, and the sale ends on January 4th.
This time I looked at flights out of Providence, since I’ve had good luck with Southwest out of PVD in the past. Nothing too impressive, to be honest. I know from prior experience that the PVD-DCA flights go for $49 when the schedule is first released. Per usual, planning ahead would save you more money than any kind of “fare sale” going on. (With the notable exception of error fares, say, to Vietnam!)
Are you going to book?
You’ve got until January 4th to book on either airline. I haven’t seen anything to useful for myself, but hopefully you can find a good deal! Here are the links to both sales, and let us know in the comments if you book anything!
JetBlue Big Winter Sale
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them