Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
A few months ago, I got the idea to do a “mock draft” for top credit cards to see what the “best” portfolio would be. Of course “best” can be defined in different ways by different people, but I thought that it would be a fun exercise. Now, with fantasy football season upon us, it seemed like a good time to do it.
Draft order as determined by random.org
- Miles / Zach (Miles the Monkey)
- Dan Miller (PWaC)
- Richard Kerr (Award Travel 101)
- Ian Snyder (PWaC contributor and Points Miles Life)
- Sam Doyon (PWaC contributor)
Draft order snaked, meaning that every other round went backwards, to make it a little more fair for the people at the back of the draft order.
Ground rules for the credit card mock draft
- Chase 5/24 is not a factor, nor any other Amex once per lifetime or Citi 24 month rules
- Assume you have no other cards or points
- Signup bonuses DO matter, but if a card fluctuates between good and bad signup bonuses and it’s currently at a low point, feel free to make the argument for it at a higher bonus with your pick
- You can’t pick a card that is not currently open to new applicants (Ink Plus / AT&T Access More / etc)
- No prepaid cards
- Cards issued by foreign banks are fine as long as they’re available to the general (US) public
Credit card mock draft chat log
The chat transcript below has been lightly edited, mostly to correct card names and typos and remove extraneous comments that were not relevant (trash-talk remained). As well, all links were added by me after the fact. I’ve also bolded the picks in case you want to skim past all the banter and trash talk 😛
Here are the final portfolios, for your reference
- Miles – #1 Chase Sapphire Reserve, #10 Chase Freedom, #11 American Express EveryDay Preferred, #20 American Express Business Platinum card, #21 Barclay Aviator Red
- Dan – #2 Chase Sapphire Preferred, #9 Chase Ink Cash, #12 CapitalOne Spark Business, #19 American Express Ameriprise Platinum card, #22 American Express SPG Business
- Richard – #3 American Express Business Centurion, #8 Bank of America Asiana Card, #13 Amex Business Gold Rewards, #18 Citi Premier, #23 Barclaycard Arrival Plus
- Ian – #4 Chase Ink Preferred, #7 Chase Freedom Unlimited, #14 Alliant Visa Signature, #17 Citi Prestige, #24 American Express SPG personal
- Sam – #5 American Express Platinum card, #6 American Express Blue for Business, #15 Chase IHG card, #16 Chase British Airways card, #25 Amtrak Guest Rewards World
Poll: who won the credit card mock draft?
Now it’s your turn to vote – which 5 card portfolio do you rank as “best”?
An interesting stat – here are the 25 cards we picked, by issuing bank
- American Express: 9
- Chase: 8
- Bank of America: 2
- Barclaycard: 2
- Citibank: 2
- CapitalOne: 1
- Alliant: 1
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them