Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
American Airlines has sent out an email promotion for a “5K challenge”. Rather than a running race, it is a race to see how many different mile-earning activities you can complete before the promotion period ends. The more you complete, the more you’ll earn, up to 5,000 miles.
Complete 5 activities to earn 5,000 miles
American’s promotion gives you five activity options that will allow you to earn bonus miles:
- Shop: Make a purchase with AAdvantage eShoppingSM
- Eat: Dine in or carry out with AAdvantage DiningSM
- Stay: Book and stay at a hotel through bookaahotels.com
- Drive: Rent and drive a car through aa.com/cars
- Fly: Fly on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight
Completing more activities will yield more miles, according to the following schedule:
- 1 activity completed – 50 miles
- 2 activities completed – 250 miles
- 3 activities completed – 1,000 miles
- 4 activities completed – 2,500 miles
- 5 activities completed – 5,000 miles
Obviously, the real gravy for this promotion is completing 4 or 5 activities. You do need to register for the promotion. I don’t know if it is targeted or not, but it may be. You have through September 30, 2018 to complete the activities. With some work travel booked on American Airlines coming up, I will easily hit 3 of the activities. We’ll see if I can also find some shopping to do and a hotel booking to make to maximize the opportunity.
Overall, this isn’t an earth-shattering promotion. But it is a fairly easy way to earn a chunk of miles by leveraging planned travel, dining and shopping.
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them