Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Southwest is back with a $49 fare sale. The “Did someone say wanna get away?” sale will run through most of next week. We are seeing more frequent sale fares from airlines as they try to entice travelers to start flying again. Cancellation policies for most airlines have become more flexible given the current uncertainty, but with Rapid Rewards points, Southwest flights are always cancellable.
Deals are available through its website and are advertised as low as $49 each way. Given the flexibility that Southwest offers from a cancellation perspective, it makes sense to book a trip later in the year or even into next year to take advantage of the low prices. If things don’t improve from a travel standpoint, it will be easy to cancel.
If you don’t have Southwest points, you can still bank a travel credit for a future trip. As a reminder, if Southwest hosts a sale, make sure you check any existing flights you have already purchased. Southwest has no change fees, and if the sale price is lower, you will receive a credit for the difference usable for future Southwest fares. Also, if you change your mind after you buy one of these flights, remember that any fare marketed in the US is free to cancel within 24 hours.
This sale ends October 22 at 11:59 PM Central Time, so you have some time … but it’s best to jump on this deal soon as availability may drop!
Traveling on Southwest During Covid
Southwest has recently stepped up its COVID-19 response. The process is being branded as the “Southwest Promise” and includes enhanced cleaning, physical-distancing measures such as middle seats being open through at least November 30, mandatory face coverings and equipped employees. For more details visit the dedicated landing page here.
How to Book
- Visit the Southwest website to search for sample dates and destinations.
- Purchase by October 22, 2020, 11:59 PM Central Time.
- Continental U.S. travel valid October 6 through March 4, 2021.
- Continental U.S. to/from Hawaii travel valid November 1, 2020 through April 8, 2021.
- San Juan, Puerto Rico travel valid October 6 through December 3, 2020 & January 11 through March 4, 2021.
- International travel valid October 6 through December 9, 2020 & January 11 through March 4, 2021.
- 21-day advance purchase is required
- Points bookings do not include government fees from $5.60 per one-way flight.
- Be sure to read all other terms and conditions on Southwest’s site.
Where you able to find a flight to book? Did you get a refund on a previously purchased Southwest flight? Let us know in the comments below!
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them