Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Traveling could be quite a hassle especially when you think about all the things that you have to go through once you arrive at the airport. One of the most tedious process is going through security. These are the common lines that we, as travelers, go through at the airport:
a. Regular TSA line – for those who are not TSA Precheck approved, they have to go through a regular line where most of the travelers line up. This line tends to be very long and is a hassle when you are trying to catch a flight. A TSA agent is waiting for you at the end of that line. The agent will check your boarding pass and ID. Once your ID and boarding pass are checked, you go through the line to scan your personal items, remove your shoes, laptop, jackets, liquids, cell phones, etc.
- Cost to you: FREE
b. TSA Precheck Line – this line is for those who went through the TSA Precheck approval process, or for those who applied for Global Entry and once approved, they also become TSA Precheck approved. In general, these travelers can speed through security without removing shoes, laptops, and jackets. The TSA Precheck lines are usually much shorter than the non-TSA Precheck lines.
- Cost to you: $85 for a 5-year membership, or if you apply for Global Entry, the cost is $100, which also includes free TSA Precheck approval.
As of recently, CLEAR came into play. I’ve never really looked into getting CLEAR since my family (there are six travelers in my party) are all Global Entry/TSA Precheck approved. But I saw this deal. CLEAR is offering a 3 Month Free Trial Subscription. Use the promo code, SHARETHELOVE, upon sign-up. That perked my interest and this is what I found out.
What is CLEAR?
CLEAR‘s selling factor is to automate the identity process, a frictionless process. Without CLEAR, before you go through security screening, you still have to wait in line to get yourself identified/verified. For domestic travelers, you have to present your boarding pass (paper or from an app), and show proof of ID, wait for the TSA agent to check all the info, and then you move to the next phase – physical screening.
How does CLEAR work?
With CLEAR, you bypass the physical ID check with the TSA agent. There is a separate CLEAR lane where you go to a CLEAR kiosk, you tap your finger to verify yourself, or scan with your eyes and facial features. The system checks that you are who you are.
Once verified, you’re cleared. It is then at that point that you go through the physical screening process. As we all know, everyone goes through the physical screening process – regular passengers with no TSA Precheck approval, passengers with TSA Precheck approval, and CLEAR members – all have to go through physical screening. If you are TSA Precheck approved and are a CLEAR member, when you’re at the physical screening, you skip removing your laptop, shoes, and jacket.
NOTE: CLEAR technology is also available in quite a few sports stadiums in the US giving fans easy, secure access when attending a sporting event.
Where is CLEAR available? How do I apply?
- Start the application online via CLEARME.com. Go through your basic information and payment information
- Complete the application by going to the following locations where CLEAR is available for you to use (airports and sports stadiums in the US):
- Atlanta – ATL
- Austin – AUS
- Baltimore – BWI
- Dallas – DFW and DAL
- Denver – DEN and Coors Field
- Detroit – DTW and Comerica Park
- Houston – IAH and HOU
- Las Vegas – LAS
- Los Angeles – LAX
- Miami – MIA, Marlins Park, and American Airlines Arena
- Minneapolis – MSP
- New York – HPN, LGA, JFK, Yankee Stadium, and Citi Field
- Orlando – MCO
- Salt Lake – SLC
- San Antonio – SAT
- San Francisco – SFO
- San Jose – SJC
- Seattle – SEA
- Washington DC – IAD and DCA
- An agent from CLEAR will assist you with getting you set-up
- Once you have your fingerprints and iris image scanned, and approved, you’re good to go. You can use your CLEAR membership right away.
How much is a CLEAR membership?
- $15 per month; or
- Annual Standard Membership – $179, kids under 18 are free
How to get CLEAR for free for 3 months
- Go to Clearme.com, and click “Get Clear”
- Enter your personal information
- Go tp Plan & Payment page and search for the Promo Code box
- Enter SHARETHELOVE into the Promo Field, click Appkly
- During the 3 month trial membership, your total is zero
Just to be CLEAR
- When traveling – no need for ID check with CLEAR members
- Go to a CLEAR kiosk, scan your boarding pass, tap of finger
- You are ushered to standard or TSA precheck screening
- Speed thru security
- You can apply online or the listed sites above, with no appointmentt needed
- You can use your CLEAR membership immediately after approval
I have a couple of big trips coming up with my family in March and April, and I am really interested in just seeing how this works. With the free 3-month trial membership, why not give it a try? Free is free. It might be worth a try if you have an upcoming trip. As far as monthly or annual membership, for the occasional traveler, getting CLEAR may not be that worth it, but for those who travel quite often, those who are always on the go, those who jump from meetings then rush to the airport, this might be an effective solution to help you bypass the typical long wait at security.
What about you? Have you tried using CLEAR? What has been your experience? What do you like or not like about it?
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them