Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
It happens every once in awhile, yes, and here’s an example of good airfare deal to Hawaii. This is an airfare deal from Los Angeles to the island of Kauai (using LIH as your airport destination). Flying to Hawaii is quite pricey, especially if you try and fly during their high season. From experience and observation, high season to Hawaii happen during this timeframe:
- Spring Break/Easter (mid-March to mid-April)
- Summer (mid-June to mid-August)
- Thanksgiving time (mid to end of November)
- Christmas/New Year (mid-December to early January)
I have seen it firsthand where economy fares to Hawaii from LA have gone up close to $1,000 during the Fourth of July (the heart of the summer). This is the reason why when an airfare deal strikes, it is worth sharing to our readers so they can fly to Hawaii for some warm sunshine.
I saw this deal yesterday, I checked Google Flights. I entered LAX and LIH as the airports and came across economy flights under $400. The sample below was taken from Google Flights and as of this writing, as low as $362 from LAX to LIH. Things worth noting:
- This particular price range of under $400 is only available from LA to Kauai.
- Other islands (Oahu, Maui, and Big Island) are all priced over $400.
- These are typically direct flights, just watch out for the flight details that might include a stopover
- Under $400 pricing are showing as available between January and May (with Spring Break timeframe excluded around mid-March to mid-April)
- Comparable pricing are also available with other airlines (Delta and American)
I suggest playing with the dates and see what works for you. If your schedule allows you to take a last-minute trip in January, or plan a trip between Feb and May, this pricing is quite competitive.
Tip: Whenever I visit Hawaii, I tend to schedule a redeye flight back to LA. Why do I that? Other flights that are offered leave early morning or mid-day, thus making the last day quite abbreviated. By scheduling a redeye flight back, I can still enjoy a full day on my last day on the island. This was one way of maximizing our Hawaiian vacation.
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them