We’ve written about this deal before but it appears to be back!
It may be targeted but if so, it seems widely targeted.
Get up to $30 off your eligible purchase of $60 or more when you use your Membership Rewards points from American Express.
We looked into it some more and tried getting an Amazon gift card itself, but the deal wouldn’t work with an Amazon gift card. I personally tried it with other gift cards such as Lowe’s, Cheesecake Factory, and Uber. I didn’t go through the whole purchase process during this test, but the $30 off worked with the gift cards I mentioned. It turns out that this is targeted offer for those with Amex Membership Rewards. Here’s the catch, not all Amex Membership Rewards Account are targeted. I’ll share with you how you can check if you were targeted.
How exactly does this work
- Log in to your Amazon account
- Go to the promo page to activate the offer
- Go through the normal process of choosing eligible products sold and shipped by Amazon that’s worth at least $60 and add to your your cart.
- You can also look for this banner
- Click on Learn More for more details (you should see this window) and follow the remaining instructions. Make sure to Activate the offer.
- You need to make sure you have an Amex Membership Rewards account linked to your Amazon account. Here’s the info how to link your account.
- During the check out process, when you get to “Choose a payment method,” choose your American Express that is eligible for Membership Rewards.
- You have to pay for at least a portion of your order with Membership Rewards points. It could be as low as 1 Membership Rewards point equivalent to $0.01. In my example, I used $0.01 cents = 1 Membership Rewards point.
- Once you’ve added the Membership Rewards, click “Use this payment method.”
Other key things to remember
- The maximum you can get is $30 off (if targeted)
- If you’ve used this benefit within the last 12 months, this benefit may not be available to you (but maybe it will)
- While I’ve tried with third party gift cards such as Lowe’s, The Cheesecake Factory, and Uber, according to Amazon, this will work with eligible products sold and shipped by Amazon
- The promotion will end at 11:59 PT on 12/31/2019.
- If you have more than one Membership Rewards account in your household, check if the other account/s were targeted.
- Click here for more details on this offer and its Terms and Conditions.
$30 bucks off is $30 bucks off
This was not a bad way of knocking off $30 from your Amazon purchase. If you have an upcoming Amazon purchase, you might want to check if you were targeted and you could be on your way to saving $30 with using very minimal number of American Express Membership Rewards points.
Were you targeted with this offer? What did you end up buying?