Flyertalk member NYC Flyer posted a note about premium economy deals in the FT Premium Fare Deals forum on Wednesday. While the absolute lowest fare seems to be from LA to Moscow, further digging shows PE seating available for under $1000 from many of the same airports in the current nationwide economy sale to Europe. That means smaller airports have the same deals as LA, New York, Chicago, Miami etc. Destinations seem to be more limited in this case, with Germany, Switzerland, Spain, and Austria showing multiple discount options, along with Paris, Copenhagen, and Rome.
If you’re unfamiliar with premium economy, it’s very similar to domestic first class: wider seats with more leg room, preferred boarding, and often upgraded food and beverage service. Fares will also include seat selection, plus carry-on and a checked bag.
Currently, United and its Star Alliance partners are leading the way. Dates are available February and March, and October – December 2019. Some validated routes include:
- St. Louis to Zurich from $907
- Raleigh to Geneva from $898
- Detroit to Paris from $933
- Atlanta to Budapest from $934
- Austin to Prague from $949
Be aware that the North American flights will book into economy, with the trans-Atlantic legs in PE. Also, for those of you collecting airline miles, pay close attention to the fare codes the PE legs book into; many of these codes are so new that they do not earn miles with partners. See WhereToCredit.com or your frequent flier program for specific rates.
- Departure: LAX
- Stops: MUC
- Arrival: DME
How to Book
- Follow link for sample dates or search your favorite OTAs / Google Flights optional for departure and destination
- Select dates, Feb – Apr, Oct – Dec 2019
- 7 – 9 day stay required
Where to Stay
- Mercure Paris Centre Tour Eiffel
- Geneva’s Hotel Les Armures
- Hotel King’s Court in Prague
- Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge
- Central Plaza Hotel Zurich
Good luck and happy flying!