Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
I got an email the other day that Avianca is offering a flash award sale from the United States to various parts of Central and South America. You have to book between now and December 18th (Monday) for travels between February 5th and March 21st, 2018 and between April 4th and May 31st, 2018
Where to go
I’ve written before about the Avianca award chart and how it has a lot of understated value.
(SEE ALSO: Avianca’s crazy US geography)
Normally, it costs 36,000 miles roundtrip to get from the US to Central America, 35,000 miles to go to Mexico and 40,000 miles to go to South America.
Here are the award sales that are going on for the next few days. All costs in miles are roundtrip
- Miami to San Jose Costa Rica – 23,000 miles
- Miami to Guatemala, Managua, Panama, San Salvador, San Pedro Sula, Tegucigalpa, Cali, Medellin, Cartagena and Barranquilla – also 25,000 miles
- Washington DC to Panama, San Salvador and Tegucigalpa – 25,000 miles
- New York City to Guatemala, Managua, Panama, San Pedro Sula, San Jose and Tegucigalpa – 25,000 miles
- Houston to Peru – 25,000 miles
- Los Angeles to Panama – 25,000 miles
- Los Angeles to San Pedro Sula, San Jose and Tegucigalpa – 29,000 miles
- Washington or Newark to Bogota, Medellin and Cali – 29,000 miles
- Chicago to Guatemala, Managua, Panama, San Salvador, San Pedro Sula, San Jose, Tegucigalpa and Quito – 25,000 miles
Getting Avianca miles
If you don’t have Avianca miles, you have a couple of options. Right now (and often) you have a sale on buying miles where you buy 1 and get 2. Buying 1000 Lifemiles would get you 2000 for free (3000 total) for $33. So buying 8,000 miles for $264 plus tax would get you 24,000 miles total or enough for a roundtrip ticket from Miami to Costa Rica.
You can transfer SPG points to Avianca and also can now transfer Citi ThankYou points to Avianca at a 1:1 ratio. There is also a credit card from Banco Popular that gives either 40,000 or 60,000 miles as a signup bonus
Good luck and happy travels!
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them