It always pays to look through your junk e-mail from time to time! As I was drinking my morning coffee, I happened to click on an Amtrak e-mail titled “Your March eStatement has a whole new look,” not expecting a great deal of excitement. I mean, how exciting can an e-mail from Amtrak be?
Well, I suggest you look for that e-mail now, as I was offered a status match promotion in this e-mail!
What’s the promotion?
I was offered a bump to Select status, the tier above Member, if I took two roundtrips (or four one-ways) between 3/13 and 5/20. If I’m able to fulfill this promotion, I’ll get Select status through February 28, 2018.
What does Select status get you?
In addition to all the benefits you get from the Member tier, Select status also gets you:
- 25% point bonus on all Amtrak travel
- Two (2) one-class upgrades (e.g. Coach to Regional Business or Acela Business to Acela First)
- Two (2) single-visit station lounge passes
- Two (2) coupons for 10% off Amtrak travel
Is this a good deal?
Yes! Normally you would need to spend the following amounts per calendar year to achieve Select status:
- Coach: $2,500 ($2,500 x 2 = 5,000 TQPs)
- Business: $2,223 ($2,000 x 2.25 = 5,002 TQPs)
- First: $2,000 ($2,000 x 2.5 = 5,000 TQPs)
In the instance of this status match offer, I can buy four $50 one-way tickets in coach and receive Select status, saving me anywhere from $1,800 – $2,300!
Terms and Conditions
- Take four qualifying one-way trips from March 13 12:00:00am CST through May 20, 2017 11:59:59pm CST and receive Select status through February 28, 2018
- Minimum spend of $45 per one-way segment is required for travel to qualify
- Limit of four qualifying one-way segments per day
- Please allow up to three weeks for status to be awarded following qualification
- This offer is limited to the member addressed in this communication
- Member must register for this offer to participate
- Register online at AmtrakGuestRewards.com
- Other terms and conditions may apply
Taking advantage of this offer
I am definitely going to try and take advantage of this offer, even if it means doing a mileage (rail?) run. I have a trip planned in April and could hopefully squeeze one more in to take advantage of this. Maybe my friends in Philly want to host me for a weekend?? Remember to look for the e-mail “Your March eStatement has a whole new look!”
Did you also receive this status match opportunity? Let us know if you did, and if you’ll be taking advantage of it!