Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
Here is some of the best travel news and notes from around the Internet:
- I was interested in the discussion over at Travel Codex, talking about the value of Chase Ultimate Rewards “dying”. I have long held that Chase Ultimate Rewards are the best miles out there, but the recent changes to the credit card rules and best practices mean that anyone who signs up for a lot of cards is unlikely to be approved for any of the Chase premium cards, which really does damper their value.
- Mommy Points reminds us that starting Tuesday 9/1, you’ll no longer be able to use American AAdvantage miles to fly Hawaiian Airlines from the mainland to Hawaii (you can still use them intra-island on Hawaii. Travel from East Coast destinations to Hawaii is sometimes tricky to find, which is why one reader is considering using 1,000,000 miles for a Hawaii trip!
- An interesting conversation over at the travelblawg about who’s to blame for a man with Alzheimer’s who ended up “lost” for several hours.
- Mile Value compiled a great list of “undervalued awards” – travel between regions for a smaller than expected amount of miles. If you like that list, you’ll want to make sure and check out the Mile Matrix, which is a list of the number of airline miles that it takes to go from any country, to any other country, on any airline.
- Hilarious article linking to several 1-star National Park reviews. One of my favorites, about Yellowstone (where we didn’t spend $9,144.92 this summer):
… I hated Yellowstone. I took my kids and I want to tell you that I am not some nature hating guy. I take my kids hiking. I rock climb. The problem with [Yellowstone] is that it is dull…. The last thing is once you see water come out of the ground once [you’re] good. But it’s all the same.
Up for more travel news? Here’s the previous installment: Do all miles go to heaven? Plus wi-fi blocking, lost Amazon shipments, and is Chase worth it?