Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
The concept of a travel bucket list is actually somewhat controversial. Many people (like me!) enjoy having an aspirational list of places to visit and “check off”. On the other hand, I’ve heard some people write against the concept of travel “bucket lists” because they believe that we should not put off traveling until we’re about to “kick the bucket”
Creating a travel bucket list
I’ve not yet found a great program to keep travel of a travel bucket list (if you know of one, let me know in the comments!). I used to just use a bulleted list but have decided to put it in a table and separate out things still on the bucket list from those that I’ve completed
Here is my travel bucket list.
I’ve always had a few ideas of travel related things that I was interested in doing. But since I believe that goals that aren’t written down are just dreams, I first wrote down my travel bucket list back in September 2014. I did “cheat” a little bit by adding things that I had previously already accomplished, like visiting every county in Ohio in under 24 hours, or jumping in all 5 Great Lakes in a single day.
Updating my travel bucket list – things I’ve done
It’s been a little over a year since my last update, and I’ve been busy! Since that last update back in 2015, I’ve checked off 7 things from my bucket list
- #7 – Ride the London Underground
- #13 – Visit the Grand Canyon
- #17 – Visit Stonehenge
- #29 – Visit the 11/11 11:11:11 themed Veterans Memorial in Anthem, Arizona – November 11, 2015
- #41 – Visit the world’s tallest building (Burj Khalifa in Dubai)
- #42 – Fly first class on an overnight flight – completed 3 times, starting March 8th, 2016 – (JAL first class, ORD-NRT, Emirates first class SIN-DXB, Emirates first class DXB-JFK)
- #46 – Take a round the world plane itinerary
I’ve also visited 189 new counties in the United States, bringing my total up to 1751 out or 3143, or 55.7%
Time to add a few new things
Removing all of the completed bucket list items drops me down to only 37 things currently on the bucket list. Here are two that I’ve decided to add
- #52 – Float in the Dead Sea
- #53 – Visit the Olympics (timely, don’t you think? :-D)
But I’m looking for a few more – anyone have any good ideas?
What should I add? What are some of the things on your travel bucket list? Let me know in the comments