Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email or our free miles and points Facebook group with all the best travel news. Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
We have written before about the American Express Gold Card, which after its refresh earlier this year is a great card for foodies giving 4 points per dollar on grocery stores and restaurants.
American Express Gold Card review
The highest public offer that I’m aware of is 35,000 American Express Membership Rewards points after spending $2,000 in 3 months (find that offer here). That offer was recently improved from requiring spending $4,000 in the first 3 months to only $2,000 of required spend. Additionally, you can currently also get a refer-a-friend offer for 50,000 points for $4,000 in spend!
- 20% statement credit for US Restaurants in first 3 months, up to $100.
- $120 dining credit ($10 per month) at the following retailers: GrubHub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, and participating Shake Shack locations.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit
- Hotel Collection Perks – 2x points per dollar and $75 credit towards dining, spa, and resort activities. However, you must stay 2 or more nights consecutively.
- Baggage Insurance
- 4 points per dollar on US Restaurants
- 4 points per dollar on US Grocery Stores
- 3 points per dollar on Flights booked directly or through AmexTravel.com (Keep in mind, the Amex Platinum is 5x points per dollar.)
- 1 point per dollar on everything else
- No foreign transaction fees
While all of these perks are awesome, there is a $250 annual fee, and it is not waived the first year. However, if you maximize the dining credits, airline fee credit, and statement credit, you will end up ahead! And then the value of the Amex points are just the icing on the cake!
Aside from the perks, let’s look at the spending benefit.
We spend roughly $1000 a month between grocery stores and going out to eat.
$1000 x 4 points per dollar = 4000 points x 12 months = 48,000 Membership Reward points per year. If you value each point at 1.8 cents, that is nearly $900 back in value!
Since I have 8 mouths to feed, these points can add up FAST! And if you love purchasing gift cards, the grocery store will become your best friend.
The American Express Gold Card is absolutely worth it!
With the great value of American Express Membership Rewards and how you are able to transfer to so many different partners, your mouth can now drive your travel costs down! And you can look stylish while doing it with a choice of either gold or rose gold.
Where to get the American Express gold card
The highest public sign-up bonus is 25,000 American Express Membership Rewards points after spending $2,000 in 3 months (find that offer here). However, you can also get a refer-a-friend offer for 50,000 points with $4,000 in initial spend!
Are you getting this card? If so, why? Where do you love to eat the most? Let’s hear it in the comments!
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them