A few days ago, Frequent Miler alerted me to the fact that there was an increased signup bonus on the BBVA Compass NBA American Express card (not an affiliate link)
Here are some reasons why I signed up for this card
- No annual fee, so it would be a good card to keep longer-term to help (eventually) increase the average age of accounts
- It’s with a bank (BBVA Compass) that is not one of the “main” banks, so I don’t have any cards with them currently
- After spending $1,000 in the first 3 months, you’ll get 20,000 “points” which is essentially a $200 statement credit
- 5x points (aka 5% cashback) on EVERYTHING during the NBA All-Star Weekend and two weeks of the NBA Finals
- Also, because this is a non-American Express issued American Express card, you can load $1000 on this card to Serve each month (not a huge deal but hey it’s a free $10 each month)
Like many others that I’ve seen, I ended up getting a “pending” answer on my application. Miles to Memories reported that there appears to be a backlog of reviewing applications, so it may be awhile. That’s okay – I’m a fan of not calling the reconsideration line.
The NBA All-Star game weekend is February 12-14th and the NBA finals will be in June.
Join the PWaC newsletter filled with credit card and travel tips
Points With a Crew has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Points With a Crew and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Some or all of the card offers that appear on the website are from advertisers and that compensation may impact on how and where card products appear on the site. Any opinions expressed in this post are my own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by my advertising partners and I do not include all card companies, or all available card offers. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers and other offers and benefits listed on this page. Other links on this page may also pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them