Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email with all the best travel news
The Hyatt Diamond Challenge has come and gone a few times over the past year or so. For a very long time, it was considered the best status challenge out there
(SEE ALSO: Hotel status match – how to match at each chain)
You could sign up as long as you had any kind of status with any competing chain, including ones that you could get for free with certain credit cards. Once you signed up, you were given IMMEDIATE Hyatt Diamond status, including 4 suite upgrades.
To complete the challenge and earn Hyatt Diamond status, you had to stay 12 nights in 90 days.
How to get Hyatt Diamond status
Being able to take this easy challenge to earn Hyatt Diamond Status was considered over-generous and not many people were surprised when Hyatt removed the ability to do the challenge back in November of 2014. One of the main problems was that people would sign up in order to get Hyatt Diamond status for the 90 days (and for the suite upgrades) with no real intention of actually doing the challenge
After a few months, Hyatt came back with a new offer called the Hyatt Diamond Elite Tier Offer, which was basically the same way to get Hyatt Diamond status by challenge. The terms were slightly different.
- Call (800) 228-3360 and ask for the Hyatt Diamond challenge (if they don’t know what that is, try asking for the Quick Qualifying Elite Trial)
- You don’t need to prove any elite status with another hotel chain (this is different than the old Hyatt Diamond Challenge)
- You’ll be granted immediate Hyatt Platinum status provisionally (this is also different – you used to be granted Hyatt Diamond status immediately instead)
- Within the next 60 days, if you stay 6 nights at any Hyatt, you’ll keep Hyatt Platinum status through February 2017
- Within the next 60 days, if you stay 12 nights at any Hyatt, you’ll keep Hyatt Diamond status through February 2017
- You would then also get 4 confirmed Diamond Suite upgrades for 2015 and 4 more for 2016. These suite upgrades can be used on Points + Cash stays but not on strictly Points stays.
- You’ll get a bonus 1,000 Hyatt points on each of your first 6 stays.
- Award stays do NOT count, but Points + Cash stays DO count
The big change was that you were no longer given Hyatt Diamond status immediately, but only Hyatt Platinum status and earning Hyatt Diamond status after completion of the challenge
There was confusion about whether the Hyatt Diamond Elite Tier offer was open to everyone or if you had to be specifically invited, but last month, Hyatt did clarify that the Hyatt Diamond Elite Tier offer was open to everyone.
Hyatt Diamond Status challenge ending on July 31st
If you were interested in how to get Hyatt Diamond status but hadn’t pulled the trigger yet, you’ll want to do so now. Multiple sources (Loyalty Lobby, Travel Codex, One Mile at a Time, Miles to Memories) are reporting that this offer will end July 31st, though View from the Wing does make the point that Hyatt has often ended one offer before immediately starting a “new” offer that is for all intents and purposes the same offer.
Still, if you want to fast track to Hyatt Diamond status, I’d advise calling before the 31st.