Don't miss out! Join the thousands of people who subscribe to our once-daily email with all the best travel news. Some links on this page may pay me a commission - as always, thanks for your support if you use them
According to Loyalty Lobby, Marriott MegaBonus Summer 2017 will be launched on May 15 (today). For the first time, the bonus points will be tied to the number of brands you stayed within the Marriott portfolio.
Marriott MegaBonus Summer 2017
The new Marriott MegaBonus summer 2017 promotion is valid for stays from May 27 through September 4, 2017. You must register by June 15, 2017 in order to earn the bonus points.
- 2,000 bonus points for each paid stay beginning with the SECOND paid stay;
- 2,000 bonus points for staying at each different Marriott Rewards brand beginning with SECOND brand;
Basically, starting with the SECOND paid stay, you could be earning as much as 4,000 bonus points a night, but you will need to switch hotel brands. I am not sure if the extra 2,000 points is really worth the hassle. Starwood has yet to announce their new promotion, but I suspect it will be similar to the Marriott one. The question is what bonus points will Starwood offer, as 1 Starpoints is equivalent to 3 Marriott points.
- [SEE: 4 reasons to transfer Marriott points to Starwood (instead of the other way around ]
- [SEE: 4 reasons to transfer SPG points to Marriott (instead of the other way around ]
Compared to promotions from competitors
If you are in the middle of hotel shopping and you don’t need Marriott nights for elite requalification, it is worth comparing this to promotions from other major hotel chains:
- Hyatt: Earn double points for stays from April 1 to June 30, starting with the SECOND stay!
- Hilton: Earn 2x or 3x points with Go More Get More promotion plus 7,500 bonus points with Amex Platinum and stack with Amex Offers.
- IHG: check your offer for IHG Acceleration Q2 2017.
You will probably like the 2,000 bonus points for every stay starting from the second stay if you have short and inexpensive stays. But personally I really don’t like this kind of promotion since I often have only one paid stay planned during the promotion period. Traveling with kids also means I never do hotel hopping just to earn elite stay credit or bonus points.
What do you think of the new Marriott MegaBonus for summer 2017?